VG33 with VG30DE Heads

gamellott

Good Afternoon!!!

Yes, I'm new here and I've been brainstorming on how to give my 92 Pathy some more power without putting in a turbo or dropping a SB V8 into it. Is this frankensteined engine something that Actually can be done using existing hardware??

I've done a little research and discovered that the heads won't bolt up to my Factory VG30E. I've read in one place that this is feasible. Will the VG33 block bolt up to the factory MT and what parts do you need to frankenstein from a donor vehicle? I understand that I will be looking at donor vehicles of a 300Z for the intake and heads and some kind of Frontier/pathfinder for the block.

OR... If all else fails and the Frankensteined engine isn't an option, will the VG30DE bolt up to the MT?

Thoughts, Experience???

Thanks

Geoff

Welcome. Maybe you can post a question in your year model forum and get help from folks knowledgeable in your model.

I've seen threads on many engine swaps, even LS and 4.3 Vortec swaps and tons of info on interchangeable trans units. Slow down, use the search and good luck.

Frank

finding info on VGs can be kind of a pain at time so I will help you a bit

early VG30E= A-B block also includes the VG30i which is the single injector throttle body.

W block VG30E is from 86-87 on, not sure of the switch date.

mixing and matching A-B block and W block heads can be done with a little extra work but some combos don't work.

​the VG30E is found every where all the blocks were made with mounting bosses for both FWD and RWD so a Maxima engine will go into a pathfinder by switching the mounts and such.....

VG30DE= no use and trying to put the head on a VG30E block, to much work switching timing belt stuff just use the whole engine

VE30DE= 92-94 Maxima SE only engine, based on a VG block with DE timing chain heads, it is kinda a baby step between the VG motor and the VQ

VG33E= late VG motor lots of info on here about them.....

those engines will bolt to your transmission without a adapter, oil pans and pumps and such might could be a issue with some of them....

• Like 1

This is the kind of information I've been looking for. I'm more partial to the DE engine because it has a shim and bucket type valve train in addition to the boost in HP without any kind of turbo. I noted that the blocks are different between the DE and E engines because they have completely different head gaskets which is what clued me into there actually being a difference.

None of this is going to happen tomorrow, so I'll start looking for a DE engine or a good donor vehicle eventually... Or maybe I'll just find a nice 300z that someone is willing to let go cheap. :ph33r:

A/B-Series is from '84-'3/87. W-Series engines are from '4/87 on. A/B vs. W has nothing to do with injection type. '86+ blocks all interchange since that's when they started building the (W)D21s. You can swap an earlier one but you have to modify the motor mounts to match the block bosses.

And yeah, the single cam and dual cam motors don't interchange heads. They do cranks and pumps and stuff like that with some work.

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 1

A/B-Series is from '84-'3/87. W-Series engines are from '4/87 on. A/B vs. W has nothing to do with injection type. '86+ blocks all interchange since that's when they started building the (W)D21s. You can swap an earlier one but you have to modify the motor mounts to match the block bosses.

And yeah, the single cam and dual cam motors don't interchange heads. They do cranks and pumps and stuff like that with some work.

ok yea thats right the only things that came with a A/B were Maxima's and 300 and the first year of VG30i, I also don't remember what VG30E have the long crank snout been a while since I was looking into such things. I think I have been cramming to much VQ engine info into the engine file.....

• Like 1