RANDOMLY DYING

1badqx4

Hello everyone, my 99.5 qx4 has been randomly dying when I come to a stop or switch gears drom driver/reverse etc. anyone have any idea what this could be? I just put 2k into a ton of repairs into it and it seems to never end with this car. please help. no codes/ check light, just driving to a stop light she will just die start right up and die at random.wth.

I am experiencing this issue as well. I took it to an arrogant mechanic and he said to clean out the throttle body. It did help but happens every once in a while.

Things I notice, it happens mostly when coming to a stop after a couple of seconds. More noticeable when in cold weather or start of my drive. But after driving around and the trucks warmed up, no issues what so ever.

No check light. yes it is coming to red light slowing down or when finally stopped at the light. it does it when it is cold.but yesterday when I was backing into my parking space at work it would keep dying everytime I shifted from d to r

Just a guess here but maybe a transmission issue? stalls more when cold and mostly when coming to a stop or switching between D and R makes me think torque converter. Like its not allowing the engine to run from drag due to low fluid or something.

My 97 does the same thing sometimes when shifting into reverse. It will sometimes judder the car really bad and the car has died a few times from it.

I have a new MAF unit on the way $89.97 from my Infiniti dealer. itl be here on Wednesday. going to install new one. clean IAC and TPS while I am at it. new bumper installed required removal of air intake box removal. so I got find a snorkel that will fit so I don't suck and water up. extremely exposed. thank You

• 2 weeks later...

Not quite sure. I am experiencing a misfire/ idling issue. Idle seems a jumping from 600-700 at stops. And each time we test for the coil pack, it seems to working properly. When the cars on at a stop, it won't work properly....

My 2001 3.5SE Pathfinder has the same issue, occasionally when I come to a stop it'll stall the engine, lights go dim and then it turns off. I've noticed it does not idle consistently either, sometimes dropping down to around 1000rpm. The scanner showed that the knock sensor needs replacing, so I will try that.
I'm getting an issue with the transmission having a delayed shifting between gears, specifically between first and second. It seems to only happen on startup. If I rev it extra hard when going down my street the issue doesn't really occur, so I'm thinking my issue is more to do with the solenoids so I'll be looking into changing those. Ideally I'm hoping the knock sensor fixes the issue, but I'd honestly like to do a rebuild anyways since I'll be towing a trailer for a couple weeks in the summer.

Misfire seems to be constant now. Not as noticeable when moving since I still have 5 working cylinders. But now my truck won't stay alive during stops. The idle seems to jump 600-700 and then after a few seconds will die. Restart the truck and it will start with my foot on the gas and then will immediately drop to zero and die again. I now need to hold the gas to keep it going.

Another diagnostics, they think it's the fuel pressure damper. This might be sending different fuel pressures to different chambers and might explain why I'm running rich and smelling fuel from the engine bay. I will be replacing this today but I have a feeling this is not my main issue.

Ended up replacing the fuel pressure damper and my truck is working like a charm! Idling issues have all gone, acceleration has returned, no more engine rumble. $68 part from O Rielly's but was a specialty part so it had to be ordered and wasn't in store.

Easy replacement. Since there is zero information on fuel pressure dampers on the internet, I'll give some from my findings.

Description: Fuel Pressure Damper(NOT the same as fuel pressure regulator) - regulates fuel pressure in the fuel rail so that each injector spits out the right amount of fuel in each cylinder evenly. Located on inlet of fuel rail (outside the intake manifold, thank god).

Symptoms of bad Fuel Pressure Damper: Smelling fuel from the engine or in cab. Misfire in random cylinders. Hard start (lots of kicks, no start).

1. Pull tube rubber tube off top nipple.

2. Unbolt 2x 10mm bolts holding the damper.

3. Loosen and unscrew tube ended (14mm and 17mm)

4. Take new damper and bolt on the 2x 10mm bolts on damper side.

5. Reconnect tube on top of damper.

6. Tighten tube end with 14mm and 17mm nuts.

7. Turn key to on position to engage fuel pump.

8. Start truck. Check damper for leakage.

I will check back in a couple of days to see if my truck doesn't start acting up.

Edited by Enjoi408
  • Like 2

Mine looks like this.

FPD43photo%20primary.jpg

But you have a different year and different engine. I tried looking it up under rockauto.com for your year and couldn't find a section for it. I do have a guy who can diagnose your dying issue if youre still looking. Let me know if you would like his info.