R50 - Help Identify this Part

Swanicyouth

So, I'm doing valve cover & intake gaskets in my R50:

1b5a7c5ae2d4b238eb4b2528698eed52.jpg

...and, I found this part underneath the vehicle (car is still apart):

1084ae6a8e8e5f1cb8156ad61e9b3fcb.jpg

93483d9dbad06fa25a3f48d923836c1c.jpg

Whatever it is, it definitely wasn't below the vehicle before I started - because I'm working on a tarp I just put down.

When I found it, it was as clean as it looks (no oil), so it's not part of the valve train or inside the engine.

Anyone know what it is?

Edited by Swanicyouth

Well...I figured out what this thing is. Now I have 2 of them.

1. Bought VC gaskets and PCV valve from Rock Auto.

2. PCV valve from RA broke during installation. I mean I just touch the hose end and it broke.

3. Looked around locally and found another PCV (same manufacturer).

4. It broke when I tried to hook the hose up to it.

This piece is inside of the valve.

Lemme tell you, I have been working on cars for a long time, and have never seen a part that just breaks when you touch it. Do not buy this PCV valve...

d831c09d70f706c10b7221c5d8d3e5ac.jpg

I have the intakes off, this was not a some difficult installation. I basically pushed the hose on the valve an the end snaps of twice.

0b7b96ebd161c313f54f47a4d6e9ab92.jpg

Edited by Swanicyouth

That's exactly how the PCV was on my Frontier...just came apart, too. I just cleaned it out and glued it back together. I've got a replacement one for my truck in the garage, I expect it to be just as cheap.

Wild. Can you modify another makes PCV ? I used to have dozens of all different sizes spring strength and different elbows. I took apart the vent breathers and put PCV valves in them. For a little bling.

So, I found a fix for this....

Called around to local Nissan dealers to get an OE PCV valve. Nobody had one in stock... Really didn't feel like leaving the PF apart for a bunch of days to order one....

Not that it matters, but the OE Nissan PCV costs $20! The aftermarket one was $3.

So, I bought yet another (3rd) new aftermarket PCV valve and sealed the outside with epoxy. Now it's never coming apart.

It seems whoever made these old stock aftermarket PCV valves (all the aftermarket ones seem to be from the same factory) used some kind of glue to hold the valve together that has dried out over the years.

I could easily see someone installing one of these valves and it comes apart during the installation process when reinstalling the upper intake - and the person not noticing. That is, until they start the car and it has a massive vacuum leak.

Anyway, vehicle is back together and runs fine.

Power valves were rock solid tight. I bought thread locker to lock them down - but they were so tight I didn't mess with them

There seemed to be a lot of oil in the plenums. But looking around, this seems to be normal for this engine.

I also found the "breather" hose that goes from valve cover to valve cover (under intake) was split on each end. It's a pre-molded factory type hose, but aftermarket bulk emission hose works fine to replace it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk