Passenger front external door handle broke

JusticeCrew

Hey y'all. My 92 xe pathy was sitting for a few years when I purchased, so alot of things dry-rotted. Yesterday the front passenger external door handle popped off in my hand. Felt like the Hulk for a minute lol. Had my baby for 6 months and now it breaks. Looked through my Haynes manual, which seems good for nothing except motor and tranny, can't find how to replace the handle. Anyone have any experience? Gonna get another one from Pull-a-part so I'll get a feel of how to tear it down. Just need to know how to reinstall. Thanks in advance.

The yard I went to didn't want to sell just a handle (they wanted to sell me the whole door LOL) but they're cheap on Rockauto or Fleabay. Both plastic handles on my '95 broke within a few months of each other. I bought one from Rockauto but had some fitment issues (not sure why). After the other side snapped, I didn't want to deal with plastic junk again so I ordered a set of chrome ones from eBay. I even transferred them to my '93 when I parted out the '95. Slight surface pitting after a few years but I don't worry so much about them shattering.

They're fiddly as hell to do but not too bad once you've done a few of them. The door card has to come off, then the plastic vapor barrier stuff, then you should be able to see what you're working with. There are two nuts like k9sar said (a ratcheting 10mm wrench makes this a little easier) and also IIRC a little plastic clip retaining the bit of linkage that goes down towards the latch. The clip is pretty easy, fold it over on itself and the rod slides out. Getting that rod piece seated in its receiver at the bottom and in the door handle at the same time was the tricky part the first couple times I did it. Then comes putting the door card back on... a drinking straw over the lock rod to line it up helps loads but this is still my least favorite part of the process.

• Like 1

Soo now have a problem. Handles came in and I notice last week..... ( I have no AC) so I rolled the window down ( door with broken handle) and it stopped about 8 inches down and started acting like it was hung on the corner that the handle is broken as the front would go down. Luckily enough Hurricane Matthew brought some much wanted cooler weather to S.C. and I really don't have to have it down. I go to fix the handle yesterday and the door wouldn't unlock, so It won't open for me to fix it. It's sending a signal to the power lock box to look all the others as well. So lord don't leave the keys in there bc it locks when ya shut the door, hit a bump. The only way to unlock it, is going through the hatch or at least the drivers door key unlocks just that door.... doesn't involve power box. Soooo my question how the heck am I supposed to get the door open if it will not unlock? I can't even manually pull it up its hung

Edited by JusticeCrew

At least you didn't have a stranger break yours.

Lol! Yes, or in my situation it was the tire shop that ripped mine off while I was there which they offered to fix for me. However being the reason I was there in the first place was to give them a good taste of what I thought of them. I told them no thanks considering they were the cause of what happened to me since they seemed to be not paying attention or caring about there job which I soon heard many other stories about them as well. In my case it was me driving through Montana 60+ mph dead of winter in December during a blizzard the weekend of them being put on when what I thought was a simple flat tire. Boy was I wrong get out to change it only to see to tire on my Pathy & only a couple of the studs left while tire & all were back down the road laying in median. Seems to be they over torqued my tire when put the new ones on lets just say I was not happy nothing like throwing on a spare in that weather amazingly enough managed to keep control of her when it all happened. So yeah I settled for them paying for the repairs on tire & new studs at another shop & stayed cleared of them attempting to fix door handle Lmao!

But as everyone else here has said yes pretty easy fix & a couple of bolts to get the job done & I would say the same thing as PathyAndTheJets better grab a couple of them cus in my case not long after tire shop broke mine off the other one was not to much later when it broke off.

Well for whatever reason, went to visit the Parents and when I got home the passenger door unlocked..... after I tried to disconnect the battery cables but the hood latch wouldn't pull (there was no spring left to pop the hood)..... ugh one thing after the other..... but hey the door is unlocked and open.... I'll worry about the hood later.....

• 2 weeks later...

Hey y'all just wanted to update and let ya know I got the handles in today, ordered from amazon and got the pair for $15 with 2 day shipping. Only took me 30 minutes to replace both driver and passenger! Thanks so much for everyone's advice!

• Like 3