LED interior bulbs blowing fuse.

mickmutante

I was installing the bulbs in the interior for LED... I was installing and testing, and the ELEC B 7.5A fuse blows. Changed the fuse and keep the LED install... And again the fuse blows.. I asume the new interior led bulbs were the cause of it...

Should i change the fuse for a 10A or 15A?

image_zpszqp4on97.jpeg

Edited by mickmutante

If an LED bulb is blowing fuses, there's some other issue and increasing the fuse isn't a good idea. I'd be sure that the draw on that bulb is quite low...much lower than the filament bulb.

Got any pics of it installed? Is there any noticeable short? Does the fuse stay intact with the original bulb?

If an LED bulb is blowing fuses, there's some other issue and increasing the fuse isn't a good idea. I'd be sure that the draw on that bulb is quite low...much lower than the filament bulb.

Got any pics of it installed? Is there any noticeable short? Does the fuse stay intact with the original bulb?

I have installed these... I remove them and re install the old filament ones... The fuse did not blow.

image_zpsjq9zoj6q.jpeg

Which interior bulbs are you changing. Cam you link to which ones you purchased (all though sounds like I don't want those ones lol)

I bought them on ebay two moths ago... I cannot find the link on my ebay user page, it is harder to find waht you bought on ebay 😡

The led may be shorted internally itself. Test for continuity

I test them with a 12v sourse and test continuity and they are ok...

I have installed these... I remove them and re install the old filament ones... The fuse did not blow.

Could try re-installing one at a time and seeing how each does. Process of elimination.

Is the heat sink on the cargo lamp bulbs contacting anything?

That happened to me once when I installed my LED map light bulbs.

I think one of them made contact between the power side of the circuit and the metal body of the reflector above (which is grounded by the mounting screws).

I suspect that's the issue. The bulb I had was similar, sans heat sink, but in the middle light, nothing kept it from rotating. I made a little plastic A-frame to keep it aligned. I just can't remember (and am too lazy to check right now) if any of the leads are exposed.

Ok...so I looked at mine (mainly because my middle bulb has actually been flickering a little lately) and it doesn't look like the heat sink would cause a problem.

On the middle light in mine, there's a metal heat shield that's above the bulb, but it is completely isolated from the circuit.

The rear cargo light does have some of the metal contacts passing into the cavity where the bulb would go, but in order to reach it, that heatsink would have to be a bit bigger.

Nonetheless, it's worth checking for any possibility of a short, even possibly on the bulb itself. The dome caps on the end, at least in the few I've gotten, aren't soldered too well. I just checked my current bulb, and the dome cap is about 1mm from the heatsink...I suppose with enough flex, the cap could contact the heat sink.

Still thinking one bulb at a time is the way to proceed.

Thanks for the tips 👍

I was thinking to remove the fuse before installing the leds, to avoid some short circuit, just in case... And then re-install the fuse... Maube i did something wrong, a short circuit touching the base plate or something....

Before i intalled the led bulbs, firs time, i did test them.. They were all ok... After the short i re-test them... They were ok... So that leads to a problem with the install process... Again... Maybe a short circuit.... This time i am going to be more carefull 👍

Wow, that's bright! I think I'm going to have to try this mod, as the stock OEM lights are so dim they might as well not be there...Do these light the interior well? They look like they do from the picture, I just want to make sure they look just as good in person.

• 2 months later...

When installing LED bulbs, Polarity is the key. Multiple bulbs in backwards with blow the fuse. I run into that all the time installing RECON cab lights on pickups at work. It all depends on the amperage of the fuse. The smaller the fuse, the more sensative it will be to a backwards bulb.

• Like 1

When I installed my leds I never blew fuses. The wattage of leds is a lot less than a filament type bulb. Usually leds have a polarity so if you install it the wrong way around it won't light up so you turn the holder around slightly and reinstall in the socket to get it working.

I was installing the bulbs in the interior for LED... I was installing and testing, and the ELEC B 7.5A fuse blows. Changed the fuse and keep the LED install... And again the fuse blows.. I asume the new interior led bulbs were the cause of it...

image_zpszqp4on97.jpeg

Don't put a bigger fuse in, the 7.5 fuse is fine. You might have a wire that has a bad place and is touching something causing the fuse to blow. You might have a wire crossed. Check your wiring and connections real good.

sent by MrCox in Lenoir City, TN

• Like 2

image_zpszqp4on97.jpeg

I use a 9-volt battery to test my LEDs and my connections and stuff before I install them it makes it so much easier. That way when you install it you don't have to cxworry about blowing a fuse

sent by MrCox in Lenoir City, TN