Climate Control power problems

ThotFinder

Hello all been lurking here since I got my 91 at the end of last summer. I didn't start driving it until spring. And I've gotten through every fix until now just lurking the boards.

I have a 1991 XE 5 spd manual. With electric everything 😑

I have a problem that I assume is no power to my climate control control unit. Nothing from blower. No heat when turned all the way on even just coming through the vent. No light on a/c button. Only the control lights come on when I turn on the lights. I'm trying to follow the wires back to the fuse box but can't manage I'm wondering g anyone has any ideas?!?!? And also how deep in dash I need to get to find wires.

The rear defog seems to be a separate issue, I doubt that the two are linked. Did you check the metal tab on the side of the rear window is intact and connected? Sometimes they can get snapped off when carting large items.

As for the blower, maybe water got in there and damaged it. Best to unbolt it and check. Three 8mm screws hold it in. Unplug the connector first then unscrew. There's a small hose on the side that will come off the plastic pipe to the evap box. There's two plastic pins holding the hinges at the lower edges of the glove box. You'll feel a small lever on each one. Push them outwards (to the outer edges of the glove box) sometimes they can be a pain to remove just push them with a pen until they pop. With the glove box removed you'll have a lot more room in there to work. Remove a steel plate behind the glove box (it looks like a curved metal plate like from a WWII ammo box) then you can unscrew the two screws to the resistor on the front of the evap box. Check in the hole for leaves, twigs etc. Vacuum it out. With the blower fan, you can clean the squirrel cage thing by unscrewing it from the blower housing, wash the squirrel cage with warm water, hand siao and scrub the fins on it with an old toothbrush. Dry it all well and screw it back onto the blower housing. Check the connector with a multimeter with the ignition ON. There should be at least 12 volts otherwise it's definitely a blown fuse. It's a 20 amp yellow fuse IIR.