Suitable replacement for fusible links

RCWD21

The positive terminal/ fusible link block on my 87 pathfinder started giving me problems a little while ago but I was able to get the connector in just the right spot so they'd make connection internally.

Since I won't be able to use the stock terminal anymore (already removed it to install ring terminals, what size fuse would be a suitable size replacement? I have a fusible link block from a vw bug that has 3 slots for standard spade fuses with a max capacity of 30amps.

The links range from 40/50 amps to 150 amps. I was thinking of running the 3 small wires to this block or even a small dedicated fuse block since I know there needs to be some sort of current protection on the positive terminal and harness. I currently have 8 or 9 rung terminals on the positive post on my battery. They range from a new 4 gauge wire from the alt to the power supply for the taurus fan and fan controller. It looks like a stack of washers and isn't the prettiest out there but it works and is stable at 14.3 volts at idle and 14.0 volts with all possible accessories on high.

Just looking for a good replacement so I don't fry something in the future.

Sent from inside my potato

From what I understand there isn't a substitute for fuseable link. Fuseable link is a slow burn, if you will. You should replace fuseable link with fuseable link. Get as close as you can to the correct size. Don't use 2 wires to replace 1 wire.

Well I know for a fact that one of them is burnt to a crisp from something happening at one point. It's the one behind the battery.

cafa8c9d2d2467dde5ffdf326b48477b.jpg

The connectors for that link have been severely overheated from too much current but there are no other damaged wires anywhere on the vehicle that I can find.

The links that go to the batter terminal were brittle and they don't look anything like what I have on mine. Mine were just 3 wires that went straight into a clip that joined everything together for the positive lead.

That single wire could be replaced using regular spade connectors and fuse able link wire. You can either try a wrecking yard or go to a shop that rebuilds starters, alternators, and such. They should have fuse able link wire?

If the plastic connector is not broken, you can pop those spade connectors out of the plastic housing. You should be able to get replacement connectors, if not you could reuse the old ones.

Another thing. Check the fuse able link connections coming off the battery. The spade connectors may open up and give you some strange electrical issues. Close up the female side a bit to make better contact.

Edited by RF600

Well the 3 wires that go along side the starter wire went into a black junction box that in turn connected to the positive lead for the battery. The clips on the ends were just simple spade terminals inside the plastic clip part, i popped it open and it's one solid piece of metal joining all 3 terminals together. They now have ring terminals on them. And if it matters I clipped the wires directly behind the plastic connectors.

As for the fusible link that melted it's wire leads across the front of the pathfinder and into the wires that come down and head towards the alt, ignition coil, and those things in that area. My problem is though, I can never find a connection that is exactly like the one I have/had. It's always too small. The wire that this connects into is white with I believe a black stripe. I even looked in an 88 hardbody and it was different.

As for the mixture heater grid it isn't cracked or chipped and looks almost brand new and it's also not shorted out, I checked while I was rebuilding the throttle body just incase there was a problem.

Also sorry for the late reply, I never got a notification for this thread and I've also been looking into buying a 1993 mazda rx7 and giving my 98 subaru impreza wagon to my dad.

Edited by RCWD21