BF Goodrich vs General Grabber. Which ones?

mickmutante

I want to change my FireStone Destination AT 265/70R16 in the near future....

So I was reading abou AT tires and all that stuff... All the reviews I have found (still reading) are about Tacomas, LandCruisers, Jeep, etc... but not Pathfinders...

Wich could be a good chice.... BF Goodrich KO2's or General Grabber at2's?.... I would like to go with 265/75R16 but I thing I would need to use wheel spacers and maybe some triming on the plastic parts... So that is a NO NO... (my wife does not want me to trim anything on the pathy... :laugh: )... SO the choices I have for size are 265/70R16, same size I am using now with FireStone Destination... Or 245/75R16 almost same diameter (KO2's 30.6" vs AT2's 30.5").... Maybe better fuel economy vs off road grip?....

Thanks.

Honestly with how similar the pattern is you may see very little difference between them. The generals are cheaper usually. Have you looked up the wear rating for each of them yet? Depending on that, one may last you longer than the other.

You will probably have more road noise vs your destinations. And even though the destinations may not look like much i have always had a good experience in the mud and snow with them. My mom had a set of the bfg's on an s10 but the 4wd didn't work so i can't say how good they actually were... I know they did not like ice. But they were decent in the snow and fairly good in mud.

If she doesn't want you cutting.... Better go with a size that you won't have too... I know those 30.5 inch tires will fit with no problems! Id probably go for the same size your running now.

• Like 1

I love the AT2s on our 2004 Pathfinder. Great tread wear on those unexpected 2000 road trips. Also, I've really only got it into sand, from hardpacked beach stuff to light, deep, dried-out sections that sunk me in 2wd. After switching to 4wd (have open diffs front/rear) I had no trouble climbing out..... luckily.

Not great in (freezing) cold weather and in snow, the rubber compound hardens up, and there is too much open space between the tread blocks. I'm moving from TX back up to NH, and we're going to get some dedicated studded snow tires for the 6 months of winter that is gifted to us.

I run Goodyear Duratracs. 265/70r16 they are MTs

I had to trim and lift, but every R50 is different.

I like the Generals much better than the BFGs for the money.

I like the Firestone Winterforce too and if I wanted MS AT 265/70r16 I would buy them again for any vehicle I've had 3 sets of them.

The General Grabber Arctic is on sale too...

I think I'm just biased to MTs and MnS winter tires. I hate puny tread for our diverse weather and country roads.

http://m.tirerack.com/tires/TireResultsServlet?tab=ALL&width=265%2F&ratio=70&diameter=16&zipCode=&forFilters=false&sortFlag=true&sortString=Price&sortHighLow=lowToHigh&filtering=true#1

• Like 1

I run Cooper Discoverer S-T MAXX, on my second set they held up well and got me to and from everywhere I have gone offroad. Pacific Northwest so mostly, hard packed gravel forest service roads. Lots of wet and rough rock not much mud, I travel solo and mud is bad.

I run Cooper Discoverer S-T MAXX, on my second set they held up well and got me to and from everywhere I have gone offroad. Pacific Northwest so mostly, hard packed gravel forest service roads. Lots of wet and rough rock not much mud, I travel solo and mud is bad.

What size are you running, and where did you buy them... online or brick & mortar shop? I'm looking at them now, out of curiosity's sake, and realized that they don't sell them on TireRack.com, or other online retailers.

BFG's were on super sale w 4wheelparts a while back. Free shipping, no sales tax, 50 instant rebate on a set of any 4 tires and another 50 instant rebate for buying 4 BFGs.

I would love to buy them on rebate, but I do not live in US... I am looking for rebates over here...

I just installed a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3 a couple of days ago replacing the old Falken Ziex. So far I can tell they really grip well. Also they seem to balance really well, much better than the Falken that always have that small shimmy that came and went at highway speed why the AT3 are dead set.

Checkout Discount Tire Direct on eBay. I got them from there when they had the standard rebate + Labor day rebate and no tax, free shipping.

Here's one 4-ply for your size

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-P265-70-16-COOPER-DISCOVERER-AT3-70R-R16-TIRES-/310982304440?hash=item4867fd62b8:g:ziMAAOSwGtRX0IAS&vxp=mtr

And 10-ply

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-LT265-70-16-COOPER-DISCOVERER-AT3-70R-R16-TIRES-LR-E-/360885320000?hash=item540670f940:g:yNoAAOSwvzRX0H~w&vxp=mtr

There's still a $70 rebate . Check Cooper's site.

Edited by dupersc

Sorry Dan rebuilding my systems was off line for a day or so 245/75/16 on Toyota rims (free) - got them at my local Tirestore here in BC $600 a pair installed balanced, I don't know if that is high or not but I have not paid for a flat repair or re-balance in years on the wife's car or my Pathfinder.

Hey there. so you have got to figure out what the main purpose of the tire will be. Pavement driving vs dirt mwhat percentages of each. being in the tire industry for 16 yrs knowing a lot about them. bfg is good what I do not like about them is on the new models no flange protection also they removed a nylon belt cap that helps with tread strength to save weight. but it is designed with what we call a segmented mold so the tire is true or more "round" if you will. The generals use and older style clam sheel mold older technology but combat that in a higher silica concentration to make up for comfort. Also my BEST advice is do NOT compare the UTQG ratings as they are manufacture specific they are not meant for a cross reference from manufacture to manufacture. You could try the hankook dynapro AT, 50k warranty. And All Terrain Tire of the year since 2006. good strong rep. and very affordable in most sizes,

I currently personally run the goodyear duratracs in p265/70r16 no need for and lt as my qx4 cannot even tow what and lt tire is designed for. P metric tires will also have a thicker sidewall than an LT. the goodyears are an ok tire for being a hybrid of an MT/AT mix.not really a MT tire. They have really good on road manners and comfort, but they do extremely horrible in thick clay,Snow is where they out perform the most,