Dash instruments (tacho, fuel, temp gauges) not working

Nevyn

After fitting a new coil to my 1986 Nissan Pathfinder, Z24 engine, the tacho, fuel and temp gauges are no longer working....could it just be a fuse blown or have a caused a bigger problem with the coil?

Did you happen to disconnect your battery during this job? I've left my key on ACC before and reconnected the battery and the surge of current through the system popped a weak fuse.

Check your fuses and if it's not that then I'd suspect it's the little voltage regulator piece on the back of the cluster causing your issue. Replacing an ignition coil would never cause gauges to stop working like this seeing as it only works when the engine is running.

Sent from inside my potato

• Like 1

Here's a thread with the part numbers and a good pic showing what wires go where. If you need more info just search "instrument cluster voltage regulator".

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Enissanpathfinders%2Enet%2Fforum%2Findex%2Ephp%3F%2Ftopic%2F23512-Voltage-Regulator-for-Gas%2FTemp-gauge&share_tid=23512&share_fid=45554&share_type=t

Voltage Regulator for Gas/Temp gauge

• Like 1

I don't recall if the battery was disconnected or not at the time. I did have it out that day recharging, but think I may have reinstalled it before changing the coil...at the time I also put a new fuel filter and line in.

Thanks for the link for the regulator, I will check that all out when I get home from work tomorrow.

Hopefully it's just something simple, it could even be a loose connection so when you have the cluster out check all of the screws to make sure they're tight but don't over tighten them or you could damage one or more of the gauges.