88 Front Wipers

V8path

The intermittent function does not work, and whether at the normal or fast position, there is no change in wiper speed (seems to stay at "normal").

Also, moving to the "off" position, the wipers stop wherever they are when the lever is moved to the off position (which is usually "mid wipe").

Anyone know what is causing this, and whether its multiple problems? Bad wiper motor, worn linkage, or something to do with the wiper switch/lever?

It's the wiper amplifier relay box on the motor itself. It's orange, sorry for the bad pic it's raining right now. Go look at your wiper motor and you'll see it. It's what controls the wiper speeds and the intermittent function.

Also the probability of it being a switch is very low since you say your wipers still work but when you turn them off they stay where ever they are on the windsheild. That points to that little orange box in the pic below. Hope this helps!

a3a709625e653b17cdcc270687c5786f.jpg

Sent from inside my potato

Edited by RCWD21

Thanks for the intel. Yeah, the wipers still work. No intermittent, no high speed, and its stops mid wipe when switching off.

Is the solution is to replace the amplifier relay box? When I thought it was the motor, I looked around at replacement motors, but I don't recall seeing this part in any of the parts suggestions relating to the wiper motor.

If this is a Nissan only available part, this won't be cheap?

Edited by V8path

The solution is to replace the box, I usually just go grab one off a donar vehicle. Anything wd21 or d21 will work as long as it has that box.

Check around online though if you absolutely want "new" it shouldn't be more than $60 max.

Looking online the price for a new one from a nissan parts site is $135.

I think the easiest solution would be to just head to a local u pull it and grab one and ask to see if you can test it out on your vehicle. Prices in my area are only around $12 since they consider it a relay. And $12 sounds a whole lot better that $135 to me!

As an FYI, I did some research and this was the part # 28510-42G00 (superseded to B8510-42G85).

There's a few listed below $100 on some sites, but I'm thinking pick-a-part is the way to go.

RCWD21 thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

I had this problem with my 87, It's just cracked solder joints. Take the box apart and look at all the larger solder joints, you should see the ones that are cracked. I just re soldered most of them. Use a solder sucker to remove the old solder first then put some fresh solder and make sure it flows well around the terminals.

James

• Like 1

Took the amplifier relay apart and this is what it looks like.

Some corrosion (which may be the cause of the problem), but no visible signs of cracked solder. I'm guessing the box has to be replaced?

IMAG2444_zpso5or1gzo.jpg

IMAG2443_zpsmcojyzhh.jpg

IMAG2442_zpsfgd7zm2h.jpg

Edited by V8path

Yeah, that's not looking too great. Lots of corrosion around the relay. I'll bet the contacts in the relay are just scabbed over. I would start there, try and free up the relay arm if it's stuck, then clean the contact on the arm and the contact it butts up against with fine sandpaper or similar. If it's just corrosion, a good cleaning should get it working again.

Cleaned it the best I could, and plugged it back in.

No improvement, so I guess it's find something close on CL, or off to the wrecker which is an hour and half away.

If you have no luck in your area I'm heading to the junkyard again in a few days so I could grab you one or 2 since I still have some credit there and send them to you if you'd like. PM me and we can figure something out.

Problem solved.

Found a used amplifier and I now have normal and fast, and intermittent wipers.

The fast however, is not as fast as I remember. Would this be a sign of the wiper motor's age? Its the original motor, which is going on 29 years.

Probably so, my 87 isn't very fast on high either. Also the intermittent timer on mine doesn't seem to make a difference. I think that would be a problem with the stalk switch. Glad you got them working though!

James

Check your connections and get them nice and clean, then you might try pulling the motor apart and clean up the commutator. 20 years of arcing might have carboned up a bit. The windings themselves might be damaged though, so a new motor would be the most time effective option.

• Like 1

I would try lubing the motor first, could just be old grease and a pitted comm. Also check the linkage for binding. IIRC the wiper motor comes apart pretty easily and they're pretty simple inside. If you do decide to replace it, check the wiring first to rule that out.

Given its the original wiper motor, at best it needs a cleaning, and at worst, a new or replacement motor. Wouldn't be surprised if the linkage probably needs a major cleaning and lubing, and replacement of worn parts.

Its been crazy busy as I'm also in the final stages of replacing the entire ignition system (PCM and all related hardware) with a programmable system (going from distributor to coil on plug) for the LT1, but I'll have to make time for the wipers in the next couple weeks before the fall rainy season hits.

Thanks to all the guys (or gals?) for the help. I'm a bit surprised there's been more than 1 or 2 responses to this, but then I suspect given the WD21's are in the 25-30 year range, I'm not the only one experiencing wiper issues.

Will update with results when the re and re is done.

• 2 weeks later...

Am into the wiper maintenance finally.

The linkage was in pretty good shape. Cleaned and lubed the pivots/bushings etc. With the wiper arms removed and having no drag from the arms, there is now a noticeable difference in speed between hi and low.

Will pull the motor and clean as suggested and see what happens. Am guessing the 28 plus year old motor might be getting weak?

Edited by V8path