Exhaust cut-outs

SC88Pathy

OK my friend and I are arguing about exhaust cut outs. He says that they will decrease horse power because they will remove all back pressure. I say that's hog wash. I also say that even so if I put a cut out after the cat converter there should be more than enough back pressure.

Part 2 of this question would the exhaust cut out have to go after the cat do to o2 sensors?

-Andrew

Oh poo, I hate it when he's right. :angry: Ah well, I can still upgrade the muffler for a nice sound, right now it's real throaty in low RPMs but looses that throatiness after around 3000 RPM.

Oh poo, I hate it when he's right. :angry: Ah well, I can still upgrade the muffler for a nice sound, right now it's real throaty in low RPMs but looses that throatiness after around 3000 RPM.

Ummm, welcome to a V6, cause is not a V8.. At most you're gonna get throaty from off-idle to maybe 2500-3000 rpms depending on exhaust, then from say 2000-4000 or so you get a nasty thrashing and rasp, followed in general high RPM's up to redline by a kinda banshee whail that starts around 3500 RPM and really opens up at 4500 or so and carries up to the line. I tell ya what, if you have a somewhat open exhaust, people start payiing attention when the RPM's climb. Its a sick beast, and if its healthy, most people kinda shudder. Good times.

Ummm, welcome to a V6, cause is not a V8.. At most you're gonna get throaty from off-idle to maybe 2500-3000 rpms depending on exhaust, then from say 2000-4000 or so you get a nasty thrashing and rasp, followed in general high RPM's up to redline by a kinda banshee whail that starts around 3500 RPM and really opens up at 4500 or so and carries up to the line. I tell ya what, if you have a somewhat open exhaust, people start payiing attention when the RPM's climb. Its a sick beast, and if its healthy, most people kinda shudder. Good times.

Wow. I had to read that reply six times before I finally understood what you were talking about. Mr. Pickles, were you drunk when you wrote that? 'Cause the first few times I read it I pictured a drunk guy babbling.

Wow. I had to read that reply six times before I finally understood what you were talking about. Mr. Pickles, were you drunk when you wrote that? 'Cause the first few times I read it I pictured a drunk guy babbling.

Not that I recall, but maybe it will read easier if you have a beer now. Go for it, its Friday! :beer:

By the way, to some, babbling is an art.

• 2 weeks later...

Skip the cut/drop out pipe unless you can afford some serious noise cancelling hearing protection. Don't ask me how I know this. :rolleyes: And as 88 said no performacne improvement either. These are simple 3.0 liter air pumps you can only twist them up so far before you reach the point of diminishing returns.

Al Coholic says "I think I'll have a drink to that." Cheers Mr. Pickles and Nostrovia to the rest of you! -alcohol-

Mike