Seafoam VG30E

curtcwc

Hey Gang,

Got a question for you. I am getting ready to Seafoam my 94 Pathfinder and need some help. Many of the online videos show using the brake booster vacuum line is how to pour Seafoam into the intake. However, I also read that for my engine, that will only clean cylinders 5 & 6. Is there any truth to that?

They recommended using a vacuum line instead, but did not say which one or where it is located. Do you know or have a picture?

Thanks!

Curt

I don't really see how it's possible that _only_ #5 & 6 get cleaned by using the vacuum hose that goes to the brake booster.... it's an intake hose... it leads to the intake manifold and as such is not exclusive to one or two cylinders. It may clean those two a bit _more_ but unless there is something else going on inside the manifold all cylinders are fed air by it collectively.

By feeding 1/3 of a can into the vacuum line, Sea Foam will clean the intake valves and pistons, restore power, and remove carbon and varnish residue. The first two uses are relatively easy, you just pour it in and drive. The top-end introduction is a little more tricky. Start by locating a vacuum line. For most vehicles, the power brake boost line will be the easiest. It is vital that the line services all cylinders, so it should be located at or near/under the throttle body or carburetor. Remove the line from the accessory (not the engine side), and start the vehicle.

Copy pasted direct from the Seafoam website.

Use the PCV vacuum line to feed the seafoam in. It won't be as easy as using the brake booster line you might have to use a piece of hose to reach. All the poop that you are trying to clean out of the intake came in through the PCV line so it makes since to feed the seafoam in through the same line. That is why catch cans are popular. A catch can "catches" all the oil vapors coming from the crank case and condenses them back to oil so they never go into the intake and sludge it up.

James

Edited by JamesRich
  • Like 2

In addition to James's comment above mine:

If you're going to start using a catch can make sure it is a baffled design catch can, the cheap ones are hollow and just allow most of the oil mist to go straight through. If you use a hollow style can, put some thick steel wool inside of it if you can to give the oil mist something to cling to.

Oh and don't get one with the level indicator tube on the side, they will leak eventually and make a huge mess, just check/ drain the can (depending on design used) every or every other oil change and you should be good to go.

Sent from inside my potato

Edited by RCWD21

In addition to James's comment above mine:

If you're going to start using a catch can make sure it is a baffled design catch can, the cheap ones are hollow and just allow most of the oil mist to go straight through. If you use a hollow style can, put some thick steel wool inside of it if you can to give the oil mist something to cling to.

Oh and don't get one with the level indicator tube on the side, they will leak eventually and make a huge mess, just check/ drain the can (depending on design used) every or every other oil change and you should be good to go.

Another note on a catch can, mount it as close as you can so you can use the shortest hose possible. I've seen too many people mount them next to their battery which looks good and is easy then complained they didn't get any oil out of it. Too much hose kills the efficiency of the PCV system and can harm your engine. I think MY1PATH was using a catch can when he still had his TBI injection. Not sure if he kept it when he went MPI but he should still have pics somewhere.

James

Here is my write up on the Seafoam treatment I performed over the weekend.

1.) First, I made sure the engine was warmed up by driving it to Walmart to buy Seafoam and throttle body cleaner.

2.) Next, I did end up using the brake booster vacuum line for simplicity. I poured 1/3 of a can of Seafoam into a shallow cup.

3.) Keep your thumb over the vacuum line until you are ready to stick it in the cup. Small sips are best to prevent the engine from stalling out.

4.) A few times I did need to rev the engine, so I just pulled on the throttle body cable. About the time the last sip was completed, I saw a puff of smoke exit the tailpipe.

5.) I quickly turned off the engine and let it sit for 30 minutes. While I waiting, I also cleaned by throttle body.

6.) I removed the throttle body boot and used a rubber strap to keep the throttle body door/flap open. I sprayed throttle body cleaner into the opening and used old tooth brushes to clean the inside.

7.) It was very dirty, thick sludge and tar like gunk stuck to the tooth brushes. I used over a 1/2 can of cleaner before it was finally clean. This process took almost 30 minutes.

8.) I then cranked up my Pathy, revved up the engine and OMG!!!!! White/Blue smoked rolled out of it for almost 10 minutes. Thick as fog at first, then finally thinning out.

9.) For me, I can tell the difference. The engine is more responsive and the RPMs climb quicker and much smoother, no hesitation or resistance in the power band.

Good luck !!

Curt

I just cleaned out my throttle body and I actually flooded the engine :doh:. I let it sit for more than a day then smashed down the accelerator and cranked it. It turned on, but like Curt, my Pathfinder was blowing thick nasty smoke. After a while the smoke cleared and it accelerates better than before. Would anyone know if changing the fuel pressure regulator will help restore performance? I use to work at O'Reilly Auto Parts and Sea Foam has given us a demo as to how it would work. They used that stuff on everything from throttle body's, as engine oil & fuel additives and even on a lawnmower. It's suppose to help clean o2 sensors as well (at least that's what we were told). I haven't used it on my Pathy but I think I'll buy some and give it a whirl this weekend. I now work at a GM dealership (Cadillac, Buick, GMC) so I think I'm gonna have one of the Tech's use the machine to flush my injectors. I figure it could use both cleanings after nearly 300K miles.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I did use Seafoam in the engine oil in my Passport (previous vehicle), but didn't notice much difference. I'm kinda scared to do it in my Pathfinder because of the nagging idea that the gunk is all that is holding the oil in!

I'm kinda scared to do it in my Pathfinder because of the nagging idea that the gunk is all that is holding the oil in!

I feel the same way. Every time I put a fresh clean part on this truck I worry all the parts around it are going to disintegrate lol

ATF doesn't contain as many detergents as people think. It's a hydraulic oil so it only has a limited detergent package for use in transmissions and power steering applications.

When people use it as an engine cleaner via vacuum induction they think that all the smoke is carbon and gunk being burned off but it's not very much.