Alternator Wiring Question

elbpf

I will try to attach some photos but I have an extra wire coming off the Alternator's terminal that connects to the battery (This is a small wire in additional to the wire that goes directly to the battery). This small wire is only about three inches long and appears to go into a small cylinder that is also mounted to the Alternator housing where the ground wire is attached (the wire is broken so I am not 100% certain where it is suppose to go).

Any information or advice on this would be greatly appreciated. I have searched everywhere and cannot find anything, and I am not even sure how to search for something like this.

I am installing a new Alternator and I want to make sure I do everything correct to make sure I don't ruin the new alternator.

Thanks.

I have installed the wire and small cylinder to the new Alternator in these photos to demonstrate how they were mounted on the old one. I also placed the end of the wire near the Cylinder where I think it might go, but it was not necessarily near the cylinder like this when I pulled it out. However, I am unable to locate any other connection that appears to accept a wire like this.

https://goo.gl/photos/113aHk7eroJxjb8WA

That is your condensor unit, it is there so that when the alternator is running, you won't get a vibration noise effect coming through the speakers. The wire connects under that bolt on the back. Tbh I threw mine away because I found I wasn't getting any vibrating noise in the speakers so yeah. It's a bit of an antiquated system these vehicles had. Many new speakers on the market have noise cancelling systems in place to prevent engine noises and verberations that would otherwise spoil your tunes and that is most important at 65 mph.

• Like 1

Keep in mind while you are wiring up your new alty to put the positive cable onto the battery first, then the negative cable last. I accidentally did it the wrong way when reconnecting my battery and fried my fusible link.

After firing up the engine, check the voltage with a multimeter and if it's at 14 - 14.5 volts then the alternator is charging properly. Another good idea is to charge up the battery before reconnecting the battery cables, so your new alternator isn't going to struggle for trying to charge up a half dead battery.