Hitch Hikers?!

Meatsac

Where I live there is a massive residential hill that leads out of the town and pretty much everyone hitch hikes up it and its pretty much the only place i've lived where you'd get picked up quickly. I usually have a seat so I always stop hoping to score some good karma. Anyways i wandered if anyone had any good hitch hiker stories?

I have 2 to start:

1) picked up a couple whilst on a dominos run. When I get in the misses is waiting patiently for her pizza and some kinda stick chocolate mess. Turns out said pudding has been fleeced from the back seat. Either that or it's disappeared into some alternated universe behind the seats, though I'm pretty sure i checked there.

2) Just pulled over last second for someone. Not got central locking so I lean over to unlock the passenger door. Before i finish unlocking it i see that he's already ripped the door handle off. Brilliant. Not sure if I believe in Karma anymore...

• 3 weeks later...

Once picked up a guy and girl walking in the middle of nowhere at 1 am. They were heading same direction as I was so gave them a lift. Got some good action looking in the rear view mirror, tongue kissing etc. They didn't care that I got full view of them.

Another time, I was out about 2 am and this guy waved me down, so I thought what the heck, I'm bored. I thought he looked a bit shifty so ensured I showed him my hunting knife I kept hidden next to the seat. So he was aware of no funny business. Dropped him off further up the highway as I got to my turn off then he says, can you keep going further? I say, how much further? Sydney, he says. This guy isn't going to budge and I started getting annoyed. Buddy, that's over 2,500 kms away! Gtfo of my car and then he ran.

Another time, I just came out of the local shop and this girl out of nowhere walks up and asks is that your car, I say yes so straight up she says give me a lift to 'town' 10 kms away. I say yeah no problem. It just amazed me, here's this 16 year old girl in my car and I was about 19 at the time and she had no idea who I was. I could have been an axe murderer for all she knew. Anyway, I gave her a lift to where she needed to go and we talked about random stuff. Dropped her off and didn't get a kiss or anything. I felt stupid afterwards, didn't even get a phone number lol.

• Like 1

I used to pick up a hitch hiker about every Tuesday after work. There was a prison on my way home and they released the paroled prisoners at the same time on Tuesday my shift ended. Honestly %95 of all the hundreds of hitch hikers I've picked up over the years were super respectful and thankful to be given a ride.

My step dad picked up a coworker of mine years ago and (coworker) still talks about how talking to my stepfather and getting a ride out of a bad situation may have turned his whole life around. Small world.

My rule is if they are standing there, thumb out, wave and hammer down. If they are walking then you know they want to get where they are going, with or without you.... A ride would just be a plus.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah its good to have company sometimes as well, even if they turn out to be a loony. I've met people I'm still friends with through picking them up off the side of the road.

Terranovation, in australia you could be signing someones death sentence if you leave them there.

Nah sall good, people in Australia don't go running around with guns. Knives and other weapons maybe. Don't see much of thumb lifters these days. Everyone that has seen Wolf Creek, trust me, Australia isn't like that at all. The majority of country towns I have been through all have lovely, friendly people and always have time for a yarn.

• 4 weeks later...

Nah sall good, people in Australia don't go running around with guns. Knives and other weapons maybe. Don't see much of thumb lifters these days. Everyone that has seen Wolf Creek, trust me, Australia isn't like that at all. The majority of country towns I have been through all have lovely, friendly people and always have time for a yarn.

Yeah for sure, same with most places really. People don't get murdered all the time like they used in the 70/80s. Having said that there was a news story about someone kidnapping two hitchhikers in south australia. Think they got saved because one of the girls got away and ran naked through the dunes covered in blood. now that's real life horror for you. Unlike horror though the people she ran into were boss and saved her and the other chick.

Yeah for sure, same with most places really. People don't get murdered all the time like they used in the 70/80s. Having said that there was a news story about someone kidnapping two hitchhikers in south australia. Think they got saved because one of the girls got away and ran naked through the dunes covered in blood. now that's real life horror for you. Unlike horror though the people she ran into were boss and saved her and the other chick.

That's pretty crazy!