Couple questions after failed searches

RCWD21

I've been searching a ton lately for a couple things about an 87 pathfinder.

Question 1 is: What year(s) sunroof will fit? Mine is missing the threaded anchor for the sun shade and the outer most lip is all torn to pieces and I can get an intact one from the JY cheaper than a new outer rubber trim. I've read that 87 to 92 is the same size but I have a feeling that it's due to some confusion on someone's part in the thread.

Also are the sun shades all the same size? There's tons of them in the junkyard I'm going to tomorrow, if they're all the same I can get them for around $5 a piece so I'll probably get a few of them.

Question 2 is: I've got the oil pressure gauge in my cluster with a brand new sending unit screwed into the block, should the gauge change readings very slowly or should it be faster than that? On a cold start it never reaches anywhere near 40psi because the engine is already warm (the upper hose is already getting hot within a couple minutes) it moves all the way across the scale when testing the gauge by itself but it's just so slow and I'd like to have it more faster.

My plan was to remove the cluster for the millionth time since I've owned this thing and clean the gauge out with maf/ tuner cleaner or some other electronics safe cleaner to see if that helps free it up some incase it's a deal of old hardened grease.

I also read somewhere that it's more of a "yes the pump is working" sort of thing and it won't really keep up until there is a very steady rpm where the pressure remains constant enough for the gauge to catch up to.

Sent from inside my potato

RC-

For question 1, all WD21 factory sunroofs are physically interchangeable. So are first gen WD22 (Xterra), D21 hardbody, and early Frontier sunroof glass. The difference is the connectors for the sunroof shade.

I speak from personal experience because I've got an Xterra sunroof right now and I'm using my original shade that I swapped to cam connectors.

Before 92/93, there was a screw connector to attach the shade to the glass. Nissan switched to a cam connector after that. You can't change the receptacle on the glass, but it's easy to swap the connectors from shade-to-shade.

I can also tell you that Xterra sunroofs can be a PITA to get out at the JY because you have to take off the roof rack and gear basket. The latch inside the cabin is a bit different, but only takes a couple screws to remove. The benefit is that the weatherstipping is only 16 years old instead of 26, so much more pliable.

Xterra shades will also physically fit on the WD21 glass. http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/33452-the-elusive-sunroof-shade/

• Like 1

Xterra- I think when I go back out there again (it was over 110° today and the heat started getting to me pretty fast, I'm going to get another sunroof and a shade or 2 or 3. As for them fitting I wasn't sure because I can never remember to bring mine with me to compare :/

It's nice to know that they didn't change the size of the glass throughout the years and even used it on some later models.

There's even a rolled 93 pathfinder in the yard I went to and the glass is still intact, I don't know how but it is.

Pathyandthejets- my gauge never reads anywhere near that high when warming up, could be because of the hot weather or just a really slow gauge but I just wish it moved a little faster than it does. I prefer electronic gauges due to the issue of having to run an oil line into the cab, I've had a bad experience with one like that in my old 240sx with a high pressure pump, let's just say I had to buy new shoes...

The only other thing I can think of is to make sure all your connections are nice and clean, make sure the ground strap on the engine is clean and tight. I had gear oil wick up my speedo cable and coat the back of the gauge cluster on my pickup, made the fuel and temp gauges really slow and seemed to read low. Cleaned it up and the gauges worked correctly.

Well I picked up a big can of electronics cleaner today so at some point when I get where I can breathe a bit with this thing I'll pull the cluster back out and take it apart and make sure everything is clean and free to move. I have a 30w soldering iron with a very fine tip so if anything needs to be reflowed that won't be a problem either. I'd imagine 30 year old solder connections could be a bit cold by now.

I wouldn't be surprised if they just set it up to move slowly so people wouldn't see it move around and get worried. Same as how the gas gauge moves kinda slow so you don't see the gas sloshing. Does sounds excessively slow though, hopefully cleaning wakes it up a bit.

And it could be worse, a lot of Fords have a dummy gauge that goes to the center of its range when the oil pressure switch closes!

Well for an example of how slow it is, I could run it at 2k rpm once it's warm and it took about 2 or 3 minutes to reach roughly halfway on the scale. I know I have plenty of oil pressure since all the oil passages were flushed with a solvent and any cruddy build up was burnt out with a propane torch and then scraped and probed. A long with a brand new oil pump, with the oil cap off you can see oil running off the lifters within seconds of it starting.

I always wondered why the Explorer gauge never really moved much, now that I know it's pretty set to stay in the middle it makes me wonder how many are driving around with low oil pressure and people don't even realize it

Just a question. What are the part numbers for an oil filter for my '94 Pathy V6 that would give me a filter with slightly more capacity than the OEM filter. Fram, Bosch, purolator, even the Nissan OEM filter but slightly more capacity. I've just been putting in 4qts. Even though slightly overfilling the recommended capacity. There hasn't been any problem, but I'd just feel better with a bigger filter. Any suggestions? Thanks..

I'm not sure on numbers but when I get a car quest filter it's huge compared to the stock size, it barely clears the manifold and starter.

Although I've never had a problem with the oiling system on a vg engine.

Either way be careful with increasing your oil capacity post pump because the more "room" you add the lower the overall pressure will be. How much depends on what you do and the condition of your oil pump. If you're just looking for a bigger filter you'll be fine though. If you were to run an oil cooler with a filter relocation kit and a huge filter then I'd want to run a pressure gauge to make sure it doesn't drop too much.

Thank you RCWD21. I will take your advice. I really just want slightly more capacity so I can with clear conscience dump in 4 quarts. Never thought of lower oil pressure possible. Probably I'll stick with stock filter size. Thanks again.

That will not fit without a relocation kit.

The oem Nissan filters are also way bigger than Fram or purolator. Worth picking up a case at the dealer they are only 8 bucks last I checked. Better than any aftermarket carp.

Edited by adamzan

Just to mention, the car quest filter is about the same size as the stock filter. It's huge compared to most aftermarket filters. I only use wix filters and supposedly the car quest filters are rebranded wix filters.

You learn something new everyday :) thanks for clearing that up Pathy, been a long time since I ordered my filter.