Can you ID thes wires in my dash?

crab

Trying to clean out the PO's wonderful 'pumpin' audio system. What's the 2 pronged thing in the lower right of the picture? A power antenna? If so, I have no antenna.I know the light blue wire is an amp power-on signal. Also, if you can ID the small white connector to the right of the 2 audio connectors, and the black, flat connector with the pink outer part in the top center of the shot, that would be great.

Thanks

Pfinder_dash_2_prong_wire.jpg

Crab-

The 2-pin round connector is Nissan's proprietary diversity antenna connector. On SE models, there's an antenna in the windshield and one on the fender. The cables come together above the glove box and end up as that cable. The factory head units had the circuits to pick the stronger of the two signals. There are adapters available to change it to a normal antenna connector that I used when I did my aftermarket stereo install.

The small white connector looks like cigarette lighter light - the illumination ring around the lighter socket.

I can't really see enough of the black and pink connector to say for sure, but that may have been the factor amp connector. If there are 8 wires to it, then that's probably what it is - but I can't be 100%. Some of the wires go from the radio connector to it, so you should be able to check continuity if you have the factory wiring diagram.

Best of luck getting the sound system working.

Edited by xterra
  • Like 1

My goodness, what a mess. The small white connector that has two pins is definitely the cig socket connector, the pink black flat connector in the top part of the pic is probably for the back of the fan speed illumination and one of those bigger white connectors looks to be for the back of the air con illumination. Somehow they managed to get those connections mixed up with the radio by the looks of things. Idiots!

thanks folks for all the tips.

The AC is long dead and I no longer have a fender antenna or a cig lighter. I still listen to the radio sometimes. Sony heads have the best radio tuners I know of, I'm going with that. So I'l lose the factory antenna wire and just get a whole new antenna unless someone has a better idea.

I'll reuse the cig connection for some accessory, maybe a CB .

I was going to just forget about the amp, so I can tuck that wire away too.

Going to just run 2 new speakers into the front doors with fresh wiring. Do you think I should snip the power connectors or keep them? I've found 2 of 3 hot leads ( illumination and memory, can't find the accessory ON wire in the connector). What do the other pins do? I'm just going to run the front speakers as I mentioned with new wire.

The PO also snipped the speaker wires and installed stupid monster type cable connected to a little 4 inch speaker hung with a single sheet rock screw in each door. YAY.

I've built a set of accessory plugs and a voltmeter that go where the ashtray and cig lighter went. Cant get enough micro USB power slots.

new%20menace_smaller.png

That looks like a factory optional extra - great job! I was thinking about doing something similar but I decided I like my ashtray for storing spare fuses, you never know when you might need em. I have a volt meter wired into the back of the cig socket as it's an accessory switched deal so it comes on when you turn the key. I just use a usb cig socket plugged in there. You can also get volt meters that plug in there with a usb port on it. Ebay has stacks of them.

Thanks for the compliment. Who needs extra fuses with this mess of wire in there? Actually you could carry about 100 in the ashtray. Maybe I oughta rethink this...

Yeah, I have a box full of cig. lighter replacement elements. I'm trying this setup for now.

Next I'm planning to add a set of extra circuits via one of these https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000THQ0CQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 so I can be ready to add aux. lights, Ham radio, etc.

Edited by crab

You can make a fuse 'lego brick' for emergencies. I have 4*10 amp fuses, 4*15 amp and 4*20 amp fuses then stick them together with sticky tape and they stay put without rattling around plus I can find the Lego brick easily than trying to hunt down a single fuse.

I have a zip lock bag in the glove compartment full of fuses. I raid JY pathy's and other vehicles with the same type. fskc paying for fuses.

I do the same with bulbs

Not sure there was actually a separate connection just for the amps. It was just the 2 radio connectors IIRC. They took the signal right to the amps through that harness.

Edited by adamzan

You should be okay losing the harness and cleaning things up a bit.

If you need it, wiring for 93 can be found here: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/39949-1993-radio-wire-diagram/?p=750742

The ash tray delete you did looks really good.

For adding circuits, I added almost exactly that fuse box, but without the ground. Installed mine in the engine bay:

PF-Bat2.png

Edited by xterra

Thanks for the compliment, and thanks for the link.

Displaying Step 1 of replacing the factory antenna when it's been ripped out by the PO. I need a new fender anyway.

fender_off.jpg

Ha. Puliing the fender was not that rough, save the bolt behind the bumper and the one under the cowl at the windshield. Good reason to buy more tools.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure on my truck, the mast antenna had a standard plug on the end of it that went in to a subharness for the diversity BS. A factory mast antenna should have enough lead to plug in to a stereo by itself. But that's if memory serves me right from when I had to fix my PO's jiggery behind the stereo five years ago.

Edited by silverton

I'm pretty sure on my truck, the mast antenna had a standard plug on the end of it that went in to a subharness for the diversity BS. A factory mast antenna should have enough lead to plug in to a stereo by itself. But that's if memory serves me right from when I had to fix my PO's jiggery behind the stereo five years ago.

Thanks, I've bought a nice stock 30 inch non powered antenna to put back in that hole. The fender and glove box are both out, as soon as I paint the new fender we are ready.

When I swapped the mast on my power antenna, I couldn't find where the part of the mast that has the wire going to it would unplug. I had a working power mast from my '95 and ended up tearing it apart and rebuilding it around the part wired to the '93 because I couldn't work out how to get that wire out of there. I'm sure it has a plug somewhere but I couldn't find it, and the cable did not look like something I wanted to try and splice.

When I swapped the mast on my power antenna, I couldn't find where the part of the mast that has the wire going to it would unplug. I had a working power mast from my '95 and ended up tearing it apart and rebuilding it around the part wired to the '93 because I couldn't work out how to get that wire out of there. I'm sure it has a plug somewhere but I couldn't find it, and the cable did not look like something I wanted to try and splice.

I hear you. I had the 2 prong plug under the dash, but when I pulled the broken antenna out of the broken fender, the antenna plug looked like a normal Motorola plug. It must have connected to another line somewhere. I don't need a "dual" antenna anyway. I've read that anything other than a 30 inch steel one doesn't do much but pick up already strong stations anyway.

I think I'm going to be bypassing everything stock and just looking for a switched and constant hot.

Edited by crab

Switched and constant hot will be your cig socket - on the back of the plug there should be a positive and negative wire which only become active when ignition is on.

Good tip to remember if you want to keep your new antenna in good shape is to push it down retracted when you park in a shopping car park. These things have a tendency to catch on people's clothing because of the angle they have, people try to squeeze between vehicles and inadvertently snap them.

I was going with a straight non retractable antenna with a spring at the bottom. For the power, I'm using the cig lighter Hot for my new power outlets. I was hoping to grab the constant and switched off of the radio harness. I've found them using my multi meter. Do you see and problems with just removing the radio harness? I don't have any rear speakers and I wasn't going to try and use the power amp in the dash, just new speakers in the front doors.

Ok, folks. Radio is in, Fender and antenna are in, console is wired. yay.

I can't say enough about Sony head units. This thing picks up twice the number of stations I can hear on any other radio, even in the house.

IMAG0003.jpg

I know the fender doesn't match, it's Rustoleum fer chrissakes, good enough for now. At least I have a corner light that's actually bolted on, and there are zero zip ties holding the flare on. And now we have an antenna.

I went Milspec on the console. Actually there wasn't much plastic left so I went with a piece of steel.

IMAG0005.jpg

Can't seem to get Photobucket to cooperate and let me upload the last shot of the dash. the damn files are < 100k, jeez. Between the slowness, the endless popups and it forgetting I'm logged in constantly, I'm ready for a move. Does anyone use Dropbox for NPORA pic files?

When I want to upload photos, I take the photo with my mobile, then open it up in Paint. Because the original photo is 2.1 Mb or something I resize the photo to 20%. That gets it down to an acceptable limit then upload via Tapatalk.

When I want to upload photos, I take the photo with my mobile, then open it up in Paint. Because the original photo is 2.1 Mb or something I resize the photo to 20%. That gets it down to an acceptable limit then upload via Tapatalk.

Thanks, I use irfanView, tried and true. I shrink the smartphone pics to 20% of original size and they go down to under 100k in size. They are still like 800x400, plenty big.

With irfanview you can batch resize a whole folder of pics, among 1000 other things. Windows only, I believe.

I'm still on Photobucket. Their site is a pain but their mobile site is slightly better, so I just upload from my phone and deal with the full site on the laptop just long enough to get the links. I used Dropbox a few times for work but kept overfilling the account, which would lock it up unless I paid for more storage--even after I deleted the content. I'm sure there's a better option than the trash fire that Photobucket has become but I'm not looking to Dropbox for solutions.