Drive Belts

JimArm

I had to R&R my alt and ps pump belts today. They don't need replacing at this point, but it seems that it would be really smart to do it before one or both break.

We did them over my pit with the skid pan off and they were still a big pain to get off and on and re-tensioned.

I think it might nearly impossible to do the job on the side of the road in an emergency.

So if you any doubt about whether you might need to replace your belts, do it soon.

Potter Valley, CA

I laugh whenever someone says "Hah I can replace my headlight bulbs and drive belts" Yeah ok, that's in a dry garage with flood lamps and lights.

Now try doing it on the side of the freeway with cars flying past, rain and wind. Then you can say you can do it no problem.

Sorry I wasn't having a go at you, I was just saying you did a good job if you can manage it out on the road in the elements. The TD27 is a different beast, the PS belt is easy to remove by undoing the tension bolts for the pulley conveniently placed just next to the battery.

The power steering belt is the easiest to replace, being on the front pulley. It also has to come off to do the others.

I wonder if the lack of the splash guard contributed to its failure.

My original point remains important: today is a good time to take a close look at the condition and adjustment of all of them.