Double checking snorkel fitment before order

RCWD21

As we all know there are only a few snorkels made specifically for d21/wd21 applications. I read about a few of the ARB snorkels being made to fit since they're for the Td27 powered vehicles overseas. I would assume that's mainly because of the plumbing side of things right?

The snorkel I'm looking at is on ebay for roughly $170 shipped but it is labeled as fitting a d21 Terrano. It follows the body line instead of coming up to a hat so it's less likely you'd catch it on something and with the xterra racks beside it it'll be protected too. I just want to double check before ordering, I've seen a ton of pics of this design on a lot of rigs but nothing up close or under hood or in the process of being mounted which would help me later on

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351668161192

Here's a link to the snorkel in question. After more research I'm 99% confident that this will work. Once I get it, I'll post a write up about the install and then a review after a while of using it since bolt on snorkels aren't really posted about much due to the high price point of the ones from ARB and possibly others I haven't discovered yet.

• Like 1

Nothing some adapters can't fix :) I don't think I'll need many since I'm going directly to the metal intake tube.

I like this design of snorkel better than the others with the sharp bend and the top hat since where I go off roading is sometimes very tight and I'd catch the hat on almost everything I pass under or by. Plus I'm not really a fan of the classic snorkel look, this is a little more sleek and subtle lol

Myself, being a Terrano owner can tell you that the front fenders are exactly the same as the early Pathfinders (88-95) but I have a TD27 with the air filter housing on the passenger side (in US that is your drivers side position) just be aware of that little chestnut.

I'm aware of that :) I won't be ordering this for a while but when I do I'll post back here with any complications that I run across mounting and connecting it

The intake is on the left side of the vehicle and I was planning on using some quality flew tubing to connect the air box to the snorkel. Just need to make sure to waterproof all of it since it's TBI

The other thing to consider is if it will allow sufficient air passage. I know the TD is only 10% smaller in displacement, but it is lower RPM as well, no? Just something to double check...

B

• Like 1

From my research it's actually a fairly large tube all the way down. I haven't gotten exact measurements since the distributor won't "unseal" a package to measure for me :/ I've been seeing them more and more on Google pics.

I like this design better than the angled hat that I'd certainly lose or worse break off in the woods. I go through a lot of small passages that aren't always trails.

I'll post a few pics from when I had my 4 door in the woods last.

I even found a high lift jack all twisted and bent up where someone got stuck!

The water in the first pic was about 8 inches shy of being to the body line. Oh and yea it was a dying auto with stock suspension and this was when I was trying to turn around in a very tight spot.. those wheels and tires are what are currently on my 87 :) I wanted to see how they rode, well come to find out no one around here can balance them for some reason :/ they've only got about 2k miles on them but it feels like they have flat spots.

20160220_173722_zpsloyry26z.jpg

Edited by RCWD21

• 4 weeks later...

Precise1, I did some more digging and I found this little chart for the snorkel I'm getting (SND21A is the model of it from a bajillion different manufacturers lol)

Just thought I'd post my findings here incase anyone else was curious as to the snorkel I've been eyeballing since I found it. The two reasons I like it are it hugs the line of the A pillar/ roof. And I can't break it off like I've seen done with a normal top mounting hat type like you normally see on jeeps.

Also why are jeep snorkels only like $100 but ours are way more expensive??

8f35e435c6966e191c2cc5b8174405b8.jpg

Sent from inside my potato

I looked at the specs for both the Td27 and the vg30, gathered up the info I needed for each engine and found a cfm calculator for IC engines. The Td27 required 4795 litres of air per minute at 4k rpm with a cfm of 169. The vg30 required 4794 litres per minute at 4k rpm with a cfm of 169 also.

I'm not sure how accurate that calculator is BUT I tried it with a higher maximum rpm value for the vg30 and it went up to 212 cfm and 5996 litres per minute at 5k rpm and at 6k rpm it went all the way up to 254 cfm and 7190 litres per minute.

Again I don't know how accurate this calculator is so I don't trust it 100%.

I don't see myself ever even reaching over 4k rpm while the snorkel is hooked up seeing as most of my deep water driving is slow moving since there's a lot of debris from fallen tress and stumps and things. So I believe that this particular snorkel will provide plenty of air flow for when I'm using it.

Well the more I look the more I'm getting cold feet on its snorkel.. it's only $180 but I still can't tell just how big it is. Everyone seems to be running the ram air type snorkel and I don't want to pay $400+ for a piece of plastic.. and at the same time I don't like how the 3 inch exhaust tubing looks.

It looks to be about 2"x3" near the air inlet at the roof line but along the A pillar is a different story because I can only find one close up pic and it's from the outside at an angle. I can't find any top views or any from the side. Along the fender appears to be the same as the ram air type snorkels.

I still think it would work for the vg30 and the only reason it's listed as td27 only is due to the plumbing from the snorkel outlet to the air box, but I'm not sure since I can't find anyone with a vg30 powered pathy or hardbody that's using this design.

I contacted ARB to see what they had to say about it since they were the original sellers of this design. Their part number is SS700HF but this same snorkel can be found under SND21A on Google and ebay.

Would anyone mind looking it up and letting me know their opinion of it please?

Edited by RCWD21

I will just as soon as I get the body lift on so I can take some measurements for the tubing!

I'm just very cautious with the money I spend because I like to get as many things as possible done right the first time

Edited by RCWD21

Well my body lift came in today! But I'm missing the gas filler hose extension piece!

What would a good substitute be for that piece? I was going to get one of those slip fit joint pieces in the exhaust isle at the local parts store since I don't want to wait for suspension connection to send me one.

And after 4 hours by myself I managed to get a set of FN .56 JGC springs.. hopefully they do what I want otherwise I'm getting the lift coils off the one in the very back from the JY.

I think next week I'm ordering the snorkel and a brand new taurus fan.

It's 1 5/8" hose, but I'm going to let the company I ordered the kit from remedy the situation before I spend anymore money than I have to. I emailed them on Monday and haven't heard anything back yet but hopefully I will tomorrow. If I don't hear anything around lunch time I'm going to call them. I have $300 worth of parts coming in at the end of the week and beginning of next week so the body lift is on hold for a few more days.

• 3 months later...

Soooooo it's been an REALLY long time since I posted this BUT the snorkel will be here on the 4th! It's plumbed for a diesel but is sized to fit all the way from a z24i to a td27. Only thing left to find is a suitable hose to go from the snorkel to the intake, I'll be taking care of that once I have it in my hands so I can measure everything correctly.

Oh and I have a 3 inch body lift installed too :)

Edited by RCWD21