94 pathfinder electrical problem

genx

Driving home from work smelled something burning from passenger side front seat , engine died hasn't started since . I know this isn't much to go on. could it be the ecu? is there a known problem with 94s .

any help is appreciated I will give more detail as I check it out. I just don't want to buy un necessary parts.

Thank you

I think I remember one other thread where a resistor or something burned out in the computer. Certainly not common though. I would take the cover off the computer and look for anything obviously burned. If it is burned out, I would be inspecting the harness for short circuits before putting a good ECU in its place.

You say it's smelling like burning from the passenger side so my guess is you have been running the a\c and that burnt leaves you can smell coming from the evap box. What happens is the resistor that is screwed onto that plastic box is clogged up with leaves, twigs etc that fall down into the front cowl vents.

There is a way to clean it out, have a look in the how-to section. It's called Fire Prevention or something.

lol. guess I should have read the original post. Missed the 'it died' part.

I have not heard of an ECU burning up but I suppose it's possible. If you pull the seat and ECU cover, shove your nose there and sniff. If it fried, it will have a definite burnt smell and maybe even some melt indication on the cover or connectors.

if this is the case, get the numbers off the ECU and post. I might still have a spare that I pulled form a junkyard. Don't think they are completely interchangeable so matching a model or part number would be best. (23710-85P##)

Edited by k9sar