Turn Signal Relocation

Hey guys I've started working on building a front bumper for my truck and today I relocated my turn signals to my marker lights next to the head lights.

IMG_0610_zpsfiumthao.jpg

I first took my existing turn signal housing and cut off the fixture that holds the light bulb out with a hacksaw flush to the housing itself to give enough room to retro fit it in the marker light housing.

IMG_0612_zpseksecxdx.jpg

The next thing I did was use a hole saw to drill a hole the same size as the light bulb fixture (I can't remember the exact size I used). Make sure you don't put too much pressure on the drill when you are drilling out the hole or you will damage the lens by hitting it with the drill bit.

IMG_0614_zpsyp9nzkdd.jpg

After I got the hole drilled, I placed the light bulb fixture in the hole with most of it sticking out (enough to glue or "plastiweld" it in.) Once I had the fixture where I wanted it, I used my version of "plastiwelding" to adhere the fixture in the housing. How I do it is I use a soldering iron to melt a groove between the crack of the two plastics then fold in some of the melted plastic on each side of the groove into the groove itself. You can also use epoxy to glue it in place but I didn't feel like waiting for glue to dry so thats why I "plastiwelded" it.

IMG_0615_zpsprtd6ko0.jpg

After "Plastiweld"

IMG_0616_zps1dwi3k8w.jpg

I used some rubberized undercoating to seal off the bead to keep out any moisture. Make sure you tape off the hole for the light bulb or you will get some over spray inside the lens (I used a small piece of duct tape). After this all I had to do was reroute the old turn signal wires to where the marker lights are and plug it in and mount it.

IMG_0619_zps5eyr20tu.jpg

Finished product! I went out to the auto parts store to buy some amber bulbs because the lens is clear. The only downside to this that I can see is that you will lose the little marker lights that are originally in the spot but it doesn't really bother me too bad. I just thought I would share this because I haven't seen another thread on this. Let me know what you guys think!

• Like 5

Great job! I have been thinking about something like that for a while. I thought I would use 1157 bulbs and holders and use the marker light wires for powering one side so I could have marker lights to. Thanks for the thread!

Great job! I have been thinking about something like that for a while. I thought I would use 1157 bulbs and holders and use the marker light wires for powering one side so I could have marker lights to. Thanks for the thread!

Thanks! and thats a good idea about using the marker light wire to power the other side, I might do that.