Snorkel Options on 87-89's

Harbinger

Remembered a while back that our engines can't use the homemade ghetto snorkel seen around this site. What can we use that is compatible with the round carberator style air filter and case? Since we lack the pretty little air box in the corner

I don't know for sure.... but in looking around in there, it doesn't look that hard to figure out something. It appears to me we could just disconnect the duct where it connects to the air cleaner and instead run a pipe to around the front of the M/C and through the fender?

I agree with mws, it looks as though it would be fairly easy to fab up some ducting and run through the fender. However this wouldn't look as clean as a pre-fabbed kit. I suppose if you used some nice pvc pipe and painted it black it wouldn't look too bad. It certainly would look better than some snorkels I'v seen where they use silver heater ducting :wacko:

Well I asked this after seeing this thread about a ghetto fabed snorkel:

http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...4022&hl=snorkel

where 88 is quoted with " Only for the VG30E 90-95 crowd...VG30i's in the 87-89's have a circular aircleaner with no way to seal it up for a snorkel"

Because if I can spend a few bucks at ACE hardware, vs a spendy ARB unit, I'll do it :-)

Function over Form damnit!

The problem is that the stock air cleaner housing by itself isn't airtight, it has the warm-up tube/valve and various other openings that can and will suck water if it's dunked regardless of what you tape onto the end of the intake tube.

You'd have to find an adapter that'll fit on top of the TBI and shoot sideways to a replacement air cleaner box with an air filter in it, then out the fenderwell the same way as the 90-95's.

The TBI inlet is ovaled with squared corners, not round...that's the problem. If you cut out the bottom portion of the stock aircleaner, you could weld up a custom box that'd screw onto the TBI...provided you have the skills and equipment to do so with thin sheetmetal.

Yup, the shape of the bottom half of the air cleaner makes me think I would stick with the stock air cleaner can. But only the can. Everything else would need to be fabbed to be watertight. The stock setup is anything but sealed! The piece to transition from the big oval opening in the side of the cleaner to some kind of round piping would be the most annoying to fabricate. Living where I do, I don't do any deep water crossings, so I will not volunteer to be the guinea pig this time around.

Besides, I like having the warm air duct working for those cold mornings!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...