Suspension "kits" reliability

I was changing out all my drive line fluids yesterday when i notice both back springs on my 2001.0 Pathfinder SE are snapped at the bottom of the springs. I've always changed out all suspension at once while i'm at it so ill be changing out the front struts as well as new rear springs/shocks.

Id like to change out the majority of the front steering/suspension components while im at it as well and keep coming across these full build kits..for a clearly unnervingly low price:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Control-Arms-Ball-Joints-Tie-Rods-Front-Suspension-Kit-Set-for-Pathfinder-QX4-/311281973687?fits=Year%3A2001%7CMake%3ANissan%7CModel%3APathfinder&hash=item4879d9f9b7:g:rdAAAOSwDNdV3X5y&vxp=mtr

or

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6385641&cc=1432945&jsn=365

The rock auto one is made up of MOOG parts, after contacting the ebay supplier they said it will be a variety of high quality OEM direct replace brands.

Secondly, the truck is used mainly in bad snowy mountain roads, some light fire road camping off-roading. This sounds like my chance to do a small suspension lift as well. What struts do most of you recommend for medium conditions. Along with what spacers do you all seem to trust the most. Front springs will be needing replacing too as I'm sure they're not far off from snapping like the rear has. I keep reading that on small 1.5-2 inch lifts there will be a terrible topping/bottoming out of the strut which worries me for pre-mature damage.

Thanks for your help,looking forward to being around the forums

I have the 4x4parts.com 2 inch lift springs and have no problem with topping out. I replaced factory struts with KYB at the same time, who manufacturer the factory ones. I also have warn manual hubs and the eccentric strut alignment bolts. If I was doing it again I might go with OME lift springs, but I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Thanks for the read. Sounds like a nightmare really. So going this route is a spring lift, rather than using the spacers I see. Sounds like a better way to go about achieving a small lift.

The parts in the link are mainly steering. I have already changed my mind and will avoid purchasing the EBAY brand. Now steering toward the MOOG Rockauto kit. Does anyone have any experience with the MOOG control arms, balljoint, tie rods.

The OME (took a while to figure out it means old man emu and not a Orignal Manufacturing Equipment.) 1.75inch lift complete package looks to run about 900American. Does anyone know what the complete kit contains (Strut mounts, all the extras.) It says the lift will require 3.75backspace rims. What is this all about? why would the stock 16s becoming unuseable. *although after the lift, new tires/rims would be next but one thing at a time would be ideal.

And finally, would spacers be a considerably cheaper option, if not using for hard-off-roading. *although this is cause the topping out*

Strut spacers have no impact on the ride quality or strut top out. They don't change the characteristics of anything...it's just a static lift height. You might need longer rear shocks if you use spacers there.

You should have no problems running stock rims. The reason they mention it is because when you lift the front, the wheel moves down and inward relative to the chassis, which means your tires may rub somewhere when turning. You can accomplish the same thing with wheel spacers, if desired/necessary. The OME kit does not require new wheels...but if you get larger tires, you may need new wheels or wheel spacers to move the tire away from the lower spring perch on the strut.

As for the kits...do you need to replace everything? I would only replace what is really necessary, and if that's the case, you can save money buying less parts. Opinions on Moog here will vary...personally, I have no problem with other brands, and since sites like Rock Auto provide actual parts pictures, it's easy to see when one part might be better than another, or have desired features.

• Like 1

like hawa said, I would recommend stock springs with spacers for your lift. It's just plain better all around.

I would save stiffer springs for compensating for something like an off-road bumper/winch type of thing.

I have the KYB struts and they are fine, but don't use their strut bearings. Very cheap. Pay up for good strut bearings.

You would probably be happy with the Monroe struts...my random impression is that they might be just a bit better quality than KYB, but not sure where I got that impression.

KYB 335032 GR-2 / Excel-G Info
Front Right
335032__ra_t.jpg

CAD$77.97CAD$77.97

KYB 335033 GR-2 / Excel-G Info
Front Left
335033__ra_t.jpg

CAD$77.97CAD$77.97 Suspension : Shock AbsorberRelated PartsShock Absorber BushingShock Absorber Nut ToolSpring CompressorSteering & Suspension Repair ManualSteering Damper

KYB 343379 GR-2 / Excel-G Info
Rear
Selected: [Wholesaler Closeout] (Only 4 Remaining) (CAD$34.94) [Regular Inventory] (CAD$42.76)
343379__ra_t.jpg

CAD$42.76CAD$85.52 Suspension : Strut MountRelated PartsBearing Race / Seal DriverSteering & Suspension Repair Manual

KYB SM5329 Mount Components Info
Front; Mount, Bearing and Boot
SM5329__ra_t.jpg

CAD$61.28CAD$122.56 Suspension : Coil SpringRelated PartsCoil Spring BoosterSpring CompressorSteering & Suspension Repair Manual

MOOG 81115 {#550202W601, 550204W900} Constant Rate Spring; Sold In Pairs Info
Rear; Constant Rate Spring
AMG_81115_P04_ANG__ra_t.jpg

CAD$41.46CAD$41.46

MOOG 81302 {#540100W000, 540100W002, 540102W500} Constant Rate Spring; Sold In Pairs Info
Front; 4WD; Constant Rate Spring
AMG_81115_P04_ANG__ra_t.jpg

CAD$582.52

This is what i have in my shopping cart for purchase. I can get Monroe Struts locally but are $170.00 a piece. Id love to hear more about KYB vs Monroe, but for light of roading i like to think the KYB will work well. Also i will purchase OEM Strut Mounts/bearings as per your post if MOOG are considered similar to KYB. How does this look.

Now with all the above parts, all I need is spacers? Not sure of the condition of the rear spring seat insulators or front and other possibly common forgot parts while changing out the suspension. How much and where can I find some trusted spacers, how high can I go before requiring "camber kits" i have been reading about? Thanks! Can be a little overwhelming with SO much info out there it seems easier to start my own case. Tire spacing,camber bolts,longer brake lines,cv axel angel,locking hubs to fix...haha. almost ready to hit purchase.

after replacing my KYB struts twice in 3 years. now I'll never buy that brand again. they don't deal with the cold i think. just put in Old Man Emu struts and springs what a difference. the build quality and ride blow the KYB out of the water they are valved for off road and a lifted Truck. I had Iron Man springs but the front ones sagged out to lower than stock in 4 years. the rear seem to be fine. so my set up now is, OME Struts with HD springs, IronMan rear springs with Bilstein 5150 rear shocks. the ride both on and off road is great. I'm also running Fleury's spacers up front and everything is running great.

• Like 1

They'll still fit, but you'll lose that 1.5-2 in shock travel (extension). It's recommended that you get longer shocks, but you won't find anything R50-specific. There are Bilstein part numbers floating around, some guys (including self) use shocks for older F250 trucks. I'd recommend the former option if within budget.

Sweet so I'm next to all set, but now that flurey is no longer making the spacers I've lost some motivation towards anything but stock. Any other topmount style spacers anyone else liked?

I believe I still have mine from when I switched over to AC coils (which I would not recommend). They are the 1.5" instead of the 2" but I will look and see if I still have them.

are they 1.5" the ones that give the proper 2 inch lift due to the geometry, or are they true 1.5?

They are the ones that will give you 2" of lift. They are 1.5" tall but it is supposed to give 2" due to the geometry like you said. If I have them I will take some pictures of them and send them to you.

There's apparently a new player in the spacers market on eBay. Mine are from "hoepkers", but there's now an "allroads-inc" seller to check out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/282075830080

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272226007774

I do question the 2nd seller a little because they have separate listings for front and rear spacers and have the images incorrect (rear spacers being sold as front spacers). He's also offering 2.5" front spacers too, but that's too much IMO without needing an SFD. The truck in the listing looks familiar...I've seen it around here somewhere.

Edited by hawairish

Those kits are are awesome(looking)! I like the fact they come with new strut plates with extended studs pre-installed.

I know its easy to bang out the old studs for new ones, but if you wanted to replace the top plates they're nearly 30Cdn each.

I see they have some rubber in the center of them, does anyone know how reusable they usually are?

How awkward/stressful would it be on my truck if i installed the 2 inch lift in the rear before I change out my front suspension? I only ask because my rear springs need to come out ASAP, and if i order the lift spacers they will arrive a good time after my suspension does.

Edited by pathfinder1990

On second though thanks to 97pathfinder, I will likely install all stock suspension and let it settle to see what kind of natural rake the stock suspension leaves, then using the proper measurements I have seen some where in this forum will order the correct spacers for a level ride, Maybe 1.5 in the front, and back to stay level.

On second though thanks to 97pathfinder, I will likely install all stock suspension and let it settle to see what kind of natural rake the stock suspension leaves, then using the proper measurements I have seen some where in this forum will order the correct spacers for a level ride, Maybe 1.5 in the front, and back to stay level.

This is probably your best bet especially if your suspension components need to be replaced. In my experience for my truck, in order to be level, you need more height in the front than the rear. If you don't need a whole lot of lift but want your truck to have a little more clearance in the front or just look better you may want to consider just putting a spacer in the front. When I first put my spacer lift on two years ago, the truck had a massive rake. In the rear you can fit a 31" tire with the stock height, the front will scrub without a spacer or lift coil. This is just my two cents but I would defiantly go ahead and replace the wore or broken suspension components then decide what you want to do about a lift.

Good Luck!

• Like 1