Do we need to upgrade Braking System with Oversized tires?

gzagun

Hello Everyone, Im newbie here in the forum, I have a 98 Pathy, just ordered my 2.5 AC lift and 265/75/16 BFG KO2 tires and pro comp Wheels

Im just wondering if it will be necessary to upgrade The brake system (Brake Rotors, Slotted? Drilled?) given this oversized tires? what is a good brand for brake pads,drum?

I lived in South California so I mostly drive Highway miles (65-80MPH) . Any tips on braking system? Thanks

As for brake upgrades. Slotted, sure. Drilled? Nah not worth it. I did try some on my 99. First time in mud, major PITA to clean out the rotors. Not good, stay away. As for bigger breaks? Well, there is only one option. That is to install 00+ brakes. Which are slightly bigger diameter. However, along with the rotors you will also need to change out the caliper mount brackets to clearance the bigger rotors. Same pads. Does it work? YES! Downside, can no longer run 15 inch wheels. Must run 16s or larger with proper back spacing to clear the calipers.

I have the Power Stop kit from Rockauto on my '96 with 32" STT's , slotted rotors and pads come with the kit . I also had new calipers installed at the same time but only because the stock ones were going on 16 years old . There is a large difference over stock braking power and 15" wheels fit fine .

• 1 year later...

I have the Power Stop kit from Rockauto on my '96 with 32" STT's , slotted rotors and pads come with the kit . I also had new calipers installed at the same time but only because the stock ones were going on 16 years old . There is a large difference over stock braking power and 15" wheels fit fine .

Question, do you have the 'Tow/Haul' pads from Power Stop? In other words did you get the Severe Duty brake set? (Most expensive of the 3 combos)

What are your thoughts on the braking power and feel? Good initial bite over standard pads?

Thanks