Catalytic converter...bypass?

Saturn

We've already replaced one cat on my 02 3.5 and it was a hefty chunk of change that I'm not ready to spend again. My other cat is clogging up and has been making the car rumble intermittently for over a year. I'm 17, a student, trying to save for a new car (probably a 4x4 pathy) and it's really not in the cards to spend close to a grand on a small exhaust part at a mechanic. The bolts on the converter are basically welded on, will probably have to cut it. I want to know if anyone here has replaced theirs and how it was done. I also would like to know if anyone has gone catless, just straight piping past it. We have no emissions inspection where I live so I'm not worried about that, what I'm worried about is my ECU possibly not running the engine right without it and throwing a nasty code. All thoughts are appreciated, as evidenced by my youth I am quite new to this.

You can find them on Amazon for about 250ish for the magnaflow versions. On 1aauto.com you can find the fronts for about 150ish. Yea, not skookum. But if they work, why not?

You can find them on Amazon for about 250ish for the magnaflow versions. On 1aauto.com you can find the fronts for about 150ish. Yea, not skookum. But if they work, why not?

If I replace it I'll probably get one from a junkyard with the rest of the pipe for about 90$, I'm really low on money and mostly looking for advice on how to do it. Do you know what would happen if I just straight piped it?

Do you know what would happen if I just straight piped it?

You would be breaking federal law, and being generally irresponsible.

I highly recommend you simply replace the unit with a used or aftermarket unit.

Why did it clog in the first place? That isn't normal, and if there is some root cause, it might just foul the replacement.

Have you checked the OBD2 system for any codes?

B

• Like 1

You would be breaking federal law, and being generally irresponsible.

I highly recommend you simply replace the unit with a used or aftermarket unit.

Why did it clog in the first place? That isn't normal, and if there is some root cause, it might just foul the replacement.

Have you checked the OBD2 system for any codes?

B

Code is "catalytic innefficiency", don't cats have a metal or reactant that burns up a bit whenever their used? I don't know why it's clogged, but the car was already stranded on the side of the road because of the first one wearing out and I really wouldn't like that to happen againn. My dad's engine blew up 4 months ago and today my mom's car left us stranded on our way home in Georgia, probable ECU failure, so we're really strapped for cash here. If I were to replace it, would a weld be required to hold the new one or could a hose clamp or other solution do it? All my makeshift breaker bars couldn't get the bolts loose and the other cat had to be cut, so this one probably will too. My brother can weld but not very well.

Heat is your friend on stubborn bolts like that. But using a torch, eh bad things can happen. Otherwise if you have access to a lift. Run the truck, let it idle for a while. 30mins or so, put it in the air and try to bust em loose. Its the front ones your looking to replace correct? If its the rear two after, both sets of O2 sensors, you could use a pipe as a temporary solution, But any DOT or emission inspection will fail you in a heartbeat.

As for just removing them? You think you have codes and issues now? It'll be worse.

• Like 1

I didn't realise there were front and rear cats until now, the one that has already been replaced is the rear passenger side. I'm probably gonna replace the rear driver side now. If the bolts won't come loose and it has to be cut, is a weld mandatory for replacement or could I use a hose clamp or something else?