AC Expansion Valve

I have an 88 SE-V6 with a locked up ac compressor. Been wanting to get the AC going. Its never been converted from R-12. Problem is I had a good idea of what it would cost until speaking with a very reputable mechanic that told me the expansion valve (thing that meters freon) needed to be replaced to get it going again. Problem is (along with most of the labor ) is that it's behind the dash. My ? Is does it really need to be replaced ? Thoughts ?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

From my experience with my 89. It's not required, but a very good idea for proper operation. I converted and the only required parts were the low or hi pressure fitting to fill with R- 134.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

more under the dash than behind, you have to remove the glove box and the plate behind it, disconnect the 2 AC lines under the hood at the firewall, than remove the screws that hold the evaporator box to the firewall, and the box should pull out.

Once out, remove the clips holding the 2 halves together, and remove the top half of the box to get to the expansion valve. There is also a plug or 2 ( been a while since I messed with one) to disconnect before removing the box. The foam they use between the box and the rest of the AC under the dash usually will fall apart, so you will need something to replace it, in my former sentra, I ended up wrapping some AC tape around the ends of the box to keep the air inside from leaking out.

• Like 1