2002 infiniti qx4 anti theft alarm problem

kent9571

So for the past few days, the alarm randomly goes off for no reason. Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution? I see the problem all over the internet on my searches but no one seemed to relay their solution

Check door switches. The rubber breaks and they can corrode.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The lock/unlock switches would cause it? It happens even if the car is unlocked

No no, the switches in the door jambs. Pull the screw that holds them in, check the condition of the hole and screw (the screw is what grounds the switch to the chassis). I believe there's also a hood switch. The tailgate's switch is integrated into the latch assembly. If any of these are faulty, it'll be as if the door is being opened while the alarm is armed, which triggers the alarm.

• Like 1

No no, the switches in the door jambs. Pull the screw that holds them in, check the condition of the hole and screw (the screw is what grounds the switch to the chassis). I believe there's also a hood switch. The tailgate's switch is integrated into the latch assembly. If any of these are faulty, it'll be as if the door is being opened while the alarm is armed, which triggers the alarm.

Ahhh. I gotcha. But would it still cause the alarm to go off if the car is not locked?

How regularly does it happen?

If it's somewhat rare, then it's going to be hard to be there to catch it when it happens.

But here's what I'm thinking... what 1 thing could result in he alarm system arming and going off?

A bad lock switch. Now you have a door switch that tells the security system when a door is open/closed, but for arming purposes you have a lock switch on each door that tells it when all doors are locked.

If one of these is bad and randomly opens/shorts it could cause both behaviors....maybe.

Here's what I don't know. I THINK that my alarm only arms itself if I lock the doors from the outside or if I lock them with 1 door open then shut it....meaning that I don't think it arms itself if I'm sitting in the car and lock my doors. Then I would set off my own alarm when I get out.

But double check that. If your car arms when you are inside and hit that lock button, then you might have your culprit.

Another thing to check that would have to be true for this to be the situation: That if it's armed and you reach through an open window and just UNLOCK the door, does it go off then? Or does it require you to open the door to set it off?

If it requires you to open the door before going off, it also cannot be a lock switch issue.

So if that doesn't pan out, I would be looking for something more central, like a failing alarm unit or bad connections or wiring troubles closer to the alarm controller such that it's getting intermittent shorts to power or ground on some circuit to the computer.

How regularly does it happen?

If it's somewhat rare, then it's going to be hard to be there to catch it when it happens.

But here's what I'm thinking... what 1 thing could result in he alarm system arming and going off?

A bad lock switch. Now you have a door switch that tells the security system when a door is open/closed, but for arming purposes you have a lock switch on each door that tells it when all doors are locked.

If one of these is bad and randomly opens/shorts it could cause both behaviors....maybe.

Here's what I don't know. I THINK that my alarm only arms itself if I lock the doors from the outside or if I lock them with 1 door open then shut it....meaning that I don't think it arms itself if I'm sitting in the car and lock my doors. Then I would set off my own alarm when I get out.

But double check that. If your car arms when you are inside and hit that lock button, then you might have your culprit.

Another thing to check that would have to be true for this to be the situation: That if it's armed and you reach through an open window and just UNLOCK the door, does it go off then? Or does it require you to open the door to set it off?

If it requires you to open the door before going off, it also cannot be a lock switch issue.

So if that doesn't pan out, I would be looking for something more central, like a failing alarm unit or bad connections or wiring troubles closer to the alarm controller such that it's getting intermittent shorts to power or ground on some circuit to the computer.

It started over the weekend. The first day and second day when it started it happened 4 times each day. Now it's slowed down to 1 or 2 times a day.

Typically, I'd just pull a fuse until I had time to mess with it, but this thing has 3 different horns.

My neighbors are probably about to start getting angry.

It doesn't help that my wife works from when I get home to 11pm. I have no time to try and fix it while the car is here

According to the FSM, the horn between the battery and fuse box is the only one related to the alarm. You could just unplug that for the time being, especially for testing.

Ha...reminds me of my other weekend...kid neighbor's car kept going off and it was driving me nuts while I was working in my garage. He was having alarm issues, too, and couldn't start his Tiburon. Must've been going on for an hour. Normally I'd help, but I'm not fond of this neighbor. The whole time I kept thinking, "just disconnect the damn horns!". So eventually, the kid comes over (he knows I'm always working vehicles) and asks for help, so I help. Guess what the first thing I did was? Disconnected the horns, of course. Just needed to have the key fob re-registered to the car...a 5-min job.

Does the alarm work when it's supposed to? To test, roll down all the windows, lock the doors, reach in and open the door or pop the hood (if it has a hood switch). The Security light blinking pattern corresponds with a particular alarm state, so check the FSM for the patterns. The Owners Manual also has a good description of the system.

According to the FSM, the horn between the battery and fuse box is the only one related to the alarm. You could just unplug that for the time being, especially for testing.

Ha...reminds me of my other weekend...kid neighbor's car kept going off and it was driving me nuts while I was working in my garage. He was having alarm issues, too, and couldn't start his Tiburon. Must've been going on for an hour. Normally I'd help, but I'm not fond of this neighbor. The whole time I kept thinking, "just disconnect the damn horns!". So eventually, the kid comes over (he knows I'm always working vehicles) and asks for help, so I help. Guess what the first thing I did was? Disconnected the horns, of course. Just needed to have the key fob re-registered to the car...a 5-min job.

Does the alarm work when it's supposed to? To test, roll down all the windows, lock the doors, reach in and open the door or pop the hood (if it has a hood switch). The Security light blinking pattern corresponds with a particular alarm state, so check the FSM for the patterns. The Owners Manual also has a good description of the system.

So it just happened again. Luckily I was home when it happened... The car was unlocked, again. The security light had the slow blink like it has when it's unarmed.

I tried rolling the windows down, locking the doors and opening from the inside.. The security light switched from a slow blink to a stationary red. It stayed that way until I unlocked the door, then it went back to a slow blink. The alarm wouldn't go back off for me

Same thing with the hood. Except when I opened the hook, the blinking stopped... when I closed the hood, it was fully lit and armed again. So I tried the door think and it unarmed itself as soon as I manually unlocked the driver door

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Using the key and unlocking is the only way to disarm mine when it goes off. You could check those connections. From all the posts. It almost sounds like you have a corroded connection somewhere causing havoc.

Unlocking using the key in the door or with key fob is supposed to disarm it.

Thinking way outside of the box for a moment...how's the condition of your key fob? For those times you aren't home, is your key fob also home? What if the key fob was sending a panic signal, perhaps from the inner contact film being worn? That's something that could trigger the alarm without it being locked. Do you have a cat that likes red buttons on key fobs?

Unlocking using the key in the door or with key fob is supposed to disarm it.

Thinking way outside of the box for a moment...how's the condition of your key fob? For those times you aren't home, is your key fob also home? What if the key fob was sending a panic signal, perhaps from the inner contact film being worn? That's something that could trigger the alarm without it being locked. Do you have a cat that likes red buttons on key fobs?

No cats. The key stays in my wife's purse.

I dealt with that Damn thing 6 times last night. Finally at 4am I had had enough. I pulled the "anti horn" fuse and the alarm still went off while I was standing at the car (lights flashing, no horn). So I went back inside and took the battery out of the fob. Not sure if the alarm ever went off again but I sure did sleep good after that

Lol. In the interior of a woman's purse is a mysterious place. I trust no key fob there.

Time to double check that the system is working like it's supposed to...at least that way, you can rule out if the anti-theft module itself is malfunctioning and contributing to the problem. Then go basic...continuity checks on switches and grounding the wires.

Lol. In the interior of a woman's purse is a mysterious place. I trust no key fob there.

Time to double check that the system is working like it's supposed to...at least that way, you can rule out if the anti-theft module itself is malfunctioning and contributing to the problem. Then go basic...continuity checks on switches and grounding the wires.

I wish you woulda prewarned me about the the purse thing earlier! Man I was fumbling all through it. After about 30 seconds of not bein able to find em, I just started slingin stuff.

That got me in trouble. Lol.

And yeah it'll probably end up at a shop... electrical is not my forte. I daily drive a 79 toyota pickup and before I bought my wife this, she drove a 78 ford f150. I buy old stuff to stay away from stupid electrical issues like I'm having with this r50. I don't have time to mess around with it

No amount of forewarning can prepare you for exploring your woman's purse. I call my wife's purse "The Bear Trap" for a reason...sharp zipper with sharp sub-zippers flanked by uncapped pens.

And yeah, I hear you about electrical connections. I tend to be good about figuring them out, but they drive me ape-shi...

• Like 1