Error Code 32 on Federal ECU

alco3

Hello everyone! After over a year I'm back for some more advice. I have a 1994 D21 4wd auto CA pickup with a 1997 VG35 ... a VG33 bored to 96mm with CP pistons & rods / 10.5:1cr / ported heads with +1mm Manley valves / ported intake to match heads / Wolf S2 cams / and ECU etc. etc. It has been running for 1000 miles ... It was a VG34 with trick DPR heads that made it 30 miles before a piece of welded combustion chamber got loose with disasterous results.

My 1994 truck is OBD1 and the engine is OBD2. Nevada is a "Cooperating State" with next door California but we don't have to dyno every car ... but all smog equipment must be present and accounted for ... so I have managed to wrestle my way through all the sensors with the last problem being a recurring Code 32. Currently the truck is running with an ECU & MAF from a VG30 4wd Federal Pathfinder. (Wolf is programming another identical ECU for the engine utilizing the soon to be installed SC injectors that proved to be necessary along with a hi-cap fuel pump). I thought that a Federal ECU would ignore all EGR codes but I'm wrong. So I guess this means that all D21s and Pathfinders in 1994 had EGR? Anyway, the FSM for the '94 shows a diagnostic for code 32 to only involve one component that the ECU controls - the EGRC solenoid. I've got one of those from a VG30 CA car and I know it works & it is wired correctly but I still get CELs for code 32. However there is no way to utilize the rest of the VG30 EGR system on the VG33. Different components. Different mounts. I had the EGR system on the VG33 operating but it was on all the time ... and I got the same frequency of CELs code 32 and the engine ran noticably warmer so I disconnected its vacuum source and plugged the exhaust pressure pipe. Another clue that a Federal ECU expects EGR is that I was getting Code 35s for the EGR Temp sensor and a new temperature sensor took care of that CEL. So is this code 32 popping up for some random reason or is there something else that could be triggering it? The truck smogs fine without EGR but it can't even be checked with a CEL. I'm attaching a Nissan FSB that IDs ECUs. It has proved really useful and I haven't found it here ... sorry if it is just a duplicate. Oops! I can't figure out how to attach a file to a post ... I'll figure it out and post seperately. Thanks for your help.

FSB sounds like it could be useful! Also, sounds like a hell of a motor you've got there. Sorry to hear about its first thirty miles.

Are you running the VG30 or the VG33 intake? I think most people use the VG30 intake on the 33, which should allow you to use all the original smog gear. All first-gen Pathfinders had EGR; mid '93 a BPT valve was added to the system on federal rigs (IIRC it was there earlier on California rigs). I'm not familiar with the EGR setup on the 3.3 but I'm not surprised that the parts don't interchange readily. I thought the temp sensor code was a California thing, but maybe, like the BPT valve, it spread to the federal rigs for the last few years.

32 is just EGR function, and the manual lists either the solenoid or the valve itself. Wouldn't hurt to check your wiring to the solenoid to make sure that's alright, but I'll bet the ECU expects a change in engine operation when it tells the EGR to open, and with the EGR capped, it's not getting that.

I've posted the FSB on the infamousnissan forum ... you can find it by searching my user name alco3... apparently it is not possible to post pdf files here ... if it is just that I can't figure out, let me know how and I'll put a copy here ... I'm the first to admit I don't know all about forum operation. I'm running the VG33 intake ... it flows much better and uses a significantly larger throttle body. Additionally by cutting holes in the bottom of the VG33 intake it was possible to port the intake throughout then fill the access holes and then refinish to provide improved flow ... there is no way to match the runners perfectly given their individual lengths and shapes but using a flow bench they were improved significantly. This error code 32 issue has taken a new twist. I've unplugged the egr systen tried running the egr system with a known good solenoid and I can see it turns the system on and the egr valve operates and it still shows CELs with a 32 error code. There doesn't seem to be a reason ... it can be full throttle and it can code at light throttle too ... hot or just started ... and the CEL stays on for varying amounts of time before going out ... All while I'm driving along. So for now I'm doing nothing more until I receive the reprogrammed ecu from Wolf and install the new sc injectors and fuel rail. Who knows what sort of problems will turn up? But I am close! I'll keep you posted and hopefully next I'll have a real performance report. Once it's running correctly its going to get run on Wolf's dyno. Thanks for all your help.

• Like 1