Short circuit Nissan terrano 2.7 td

Bertollie

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a 1991 Nissan Terrano and after a couple of days I noticed that my battery wasn't charging. So I checked all the (loose) wires and connect some but it was my alternator. I replaced the brushes in the alternator and today I tried to start the Terrano with some jumper leads. After a couple of seconds there was some smoke and one wire burnt down (see photo)

Does anybody know what this wire is? And what could cause the short circuit?

Thanks

ee53d65025e05f27385d704d298ee6eb.jpg

43d46743f18ffe672c510d24da142faf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

You likely shorted out the alternator, there must be a positive connection point touching ground / the alternator case. That is your fusible link that burned. It is basically a wire version of a fuse. And the wire that burned is the charge wire from the alternator. Best to pull the alternator and examine the rebuild closely. Check the charge terminal post and make sure the epoxy base isn't broken, allowing it to make contact with the alternator body. If that's fine I would open it up again see where it's shorting.

You can test this, remove the positive and the negative leads from your battery. Then take a multimeter set to continuity test and place one lead on the positive battery wire on the vehicle and one lead to the aluminum body of the alternator. If there is continuity you have a short in the alternator.

• Like 1