Lift kit for a newbie

I know this is kind of a dumb thing to ask, but do I need longer shocks if I buy 2.5 inch spacers? what is the best for the money 2.5-3 inch lift. I have a 2001 SE. I'm not an avid off-roader, but I really would like to have my pathy lifted. Thanks!!

Perhaps there may be more to it. I installed OME ".75" lift coils in the rear and Fleurys 1.5" spacers. I wish I had purchased longer shocks - but only a little. After the springs settled everything seemed fine. At fresh install, I would top out my shocks entering the parking lot at work - slightly off camber. 3 inches of lift might require longer shocks in the rear. Front strut spacers do not require longer anything, but one does need to mind the CV angle. Manual hubs are recommended, but I do not know the max angle of CV for safety.

Fleurys spacers work fantastic for me - and plenty of others out there. Very cost effective.

• Like 1

Funny thing is I'm lifting my own 2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4 5spd using 1.5" front strut spacers & 2.5" in the rear (fluerys) and am going to be putting new wheels and tires...but I'm afraid I don't know the answer to the length and and best lug nuts to buy (with locks and preferably black as they are black rims.) Anyone know? Thanks and I'll post pics when it's finished!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I ordered my wheels locally (black aluminum) -12 offset and at the install it was discovered I needed special recessed lugs. I opted to have my mechanic (where I bought the wheels/tires) order them for me - locking and black. I don't remember the size/pitch, but the ordered material worked.

I know this is kind of a dumb thing to ask, but do I need longer shocks if I buy 2.5 inch spacers? what is the best for the money 2.5-3 inch lift. I have a 2001 SE. I'm not an avid off-roader, but I really would like to have my pathy lifted. Thanks!!

Yes, if you're talking about rear spacers. The spacer will consume an equal amount of shock travel (i.e., the difference between the extended and compressed lengths of the shock). If the OE shock travel is, say, about 9" (which it is), it'll reduce to 6.5" after spacers. You'll bottom and/or top out easier, which is harsh on the shock and can cause it to fail. There are numerous threads with parts info, particularly Bilstein and Ford F-250 2wd options.

DarekG's answer isn't wrong, but it answers the question for front spacers. You won't need longer struts...which is good because they don't exist. But I don't recommend 2.5" of strut spacers without an SFD.

Funny thing is I'm lifting my own 2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4 5spd using 1.5" front strut spacers & 2.5" in the rear (fluerys) and am going to be putting new wheels and tires...but I'm afraid I don't know the answer to the length and and best lug nuts to buy (with locks and preferably black as they are black rims.) Anyone know? Thanks and I'll post pics when it's finished!

I ordered my wheels locally (black aluminum) -12 offset and at the install it was discovered I needed special recessed lugs. I opted to have my mechanic (where I bought the wheels/tires) order them for me - locking and black. I don't remember the size/pitch, but the ordered material worked.

Sometimes wheels will require different lug nuts due to the thickness of the mounting surface. Aftermarket steel wheels tend to have a thinner surface than OE, which means they'll need a taller/deeper lug nut; OE steel wheels have a boss around each hole that makes it thicker. Aluminum mounting surfaces are thicker than steel. You'll need to confirm what style (acorn, mag, etc.) the wheel requires. R50s use M12x1.25 (or 12mm x 1.25mm) wheel studs and acorn-style nuts. If in doubt of the length to get, just pull off a nut, measure it's height, and get something a little longer. eBay has no shortage of size and color options.

• Like 2