Questions on engine swap

Macrow

So I have a few questions regarding swapping out engines I am pretty sure it should just be an easy swap over because they are both on 1995 XE Pathfinders but I know one was from May and the other is from June so didn't know if there would be any other differences between the two of them or not. What is the best route to take when swapping out the engines being this will be my first time doing so I just want to be sure to cover everything on this so I don't have to go back in after getting the new one in. The reason for swap out is the one engine is blown but tranny good and the other has some sort of tranny issue but good motor & the one with bad motor is the one that I am going to be using anyway.

Also I have another question regarding the rear end my 95 Pathfinder from June I noticed has a Limited Slip Differential on it but on the 95 from May I am unsure if it does or not because I am not seeing the tag or any sign of markings stating to only add LSD Oil into it like my other 95 does so I am curious if there is a way to tell this or not because if it doesn't then I think I am going to want to swap out the rear end on them because I would much rather have the limited slip differential on it.

Engine swap should be pretty straight forward. Get a manual, mark and bag everything you remove. You'll likely have to drop the front axle as well. I did.

To check for LSD, get both rear tires in the air and spin one. If the other spins the same direction its a LSD. If not, its an open diff. You may want to keep the open diff carrier if you want to install a mechanical locker later on. They don't work with LSD rears.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Engine swap should be pretty straight forward. Get a manual, mark and bag everything you remove. You'll likely have to drop the front axle as well. I did.

To check for LSD, get both rear tires in the air and spin one. If the other spins the same direction its a LSD. If not, its an open diff. You may want to keep the open diff carrier if you want to install a mechanical locker later on. They don't work with LSD rears.

Good luck.

Ok great thank you for the input this is all good to know.

If your phone has a camera, use it. Take pictures before you tear stuff apart to help you put it back together again. Also consider doing some seals on the motor while it's out, they're much harder to get to when it's back in.

• 3 weeks later...

Engine swap went well for the most part had a few setbacks which we have gotten everything out of the way and installed again and no leaks anywhere which is good. Only thing now is try to track down the ticking or minor knocking sound coming from passenger side of motor which I am thinking is a lifter going bad possibly. Other then that just need to get everything tuned in properly and sounding and running good.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

See? Told you it wasn't so bad. Congrats on your success!

The ticking could be a leak in the exhaust manifold which is pretty common on these trucks and will sound a lot like a lifter. Two ways I know of to find the leak are:

1. Pour a bit of trans fluid into your intake while the engine is running. It'll smoke like hell and little puffs of smoke should blow out of any gap or crack. You could maybe use Seafoam instead and clean your engine at the same time but if the engine is already clean, the Seafoam won't smoke that much.

2. Hook a shop vac to your tailpipe and set it to blow, not suck, then check for leaks. If you can't feel a leak, use a feather or bit of tissue paper or whatever all around the manifold to find it.

I ported and polished my heads and installed reground cams when I did my engine swap and I still have a tick. It's not an exhaust leak and I've been through three sets of lifters (installed the new set, then tried the originals, then another used set). I never heard the "new" engine run before so it could be something else. I decided to live with it.

• Like 1

Thanks jj big shoe & no wasn't that bad at all really. I will check out those methods & see what I can come up with on the seeing if there is an exhaust leak or not. I did find one small leak the other day got that taken care of but ticking is still there so I may be in the same boat & might just have to learn to live with it but will still check for any other leaks & anything else that may lead up to that as well before that.