All dashlights are out

brc19761

I was working on installing a Nissan factory head unit in my 1994 Nissan pathfinder LE. It is the same radio I've had in my pathy for years. It is a 1998 Nissan Altima radio, but it fits perfectly in the 1994 Nissan pathfinder. The radio got to where only the back speakers would come on. Then out of nowhere the front speakers would start working. Well I got tired of it doing that. Finally one day I got some time to remove the radio and check for loose wires. Well I ended up unwiring the whole radio. I have schematics and wiring diagrams from when I first installed the radio. I could get it to come on, but no sound at all.

I have fooled with this radio for weeks. Hooking it up and taking it out dozens of times. Well this evening some wires accidently touched each other. It blew the fuse for the roof lamps. The light that comes on when you open the door. I replaced the fuse and it went back to working.

It was getting late so I went to turn my headlights on so the dash lights would come on. The instrument panel will not light up, the a/c lights do not work, and there is a light under where the brake and gas pedal that will not come on either.

My question is what makes the dash lights work? I checked every fuse in the fuse box and nothing is blown. My radio never had the illumination hooked up to it so it is not that. The dimmer dial has no effect on the lights at all. Is there any fuses under the hood or relays that could have blown or went out. I just can't drive at night now. I feel bad b/c I created this problem and I would like to fix it. I have searched the net and found a lot of posts on how people have hooked up or removed a radio or head unit and the same thing has happened to there dash lights. Thing is none of the stories I read lead to solving the dash light problem

My pathfinder is a 1994 LE. I would sure appreciate some advice or ideas.

Thanks,

brc

The dash lights don't go through the Room Lamp fuse (just confirmed on mine). They're wired to the marker light circuit. The fuse for that circuit is on the bottom right of the under-dash fuse box, marked tail lamp (10A). I checked on mine and if you pull that fuse, the dash lights go out. I know you said you checked the lot of them so it's probably not the fuse. Your tail lights and markers still come on, right?

If the tail lamp fuse and the markers still work, then my next suspect would be the dimmer. It's not a rheostat like old school rigs have, it's got a big mosfet (transistor) inside, which could conceivably have fried if power got into it on the wrong line. I would unplug the dimmer and test for power at the plug, then try a different dimmer or look up the diagram in the manual and see which pins to jumper to bypass the switch. If the dimmer turns out to be the problem, message me, I think I've still got the dimmer from my '95.

The tail lights and markers do work. I will look at the fsm and see if I can by-pass the dimmer switch. Don't want to sound to stupid, but how do you by-pass the dimmer switch?

I found the dimmer switch in the fsm. Looking up year 1994 (1995 should be the same). It is on EL pg. 35 at the top right hand side of the pg. It is 331m it has the colors pink/black, pink blue, black, and pink/black.

Thanks you were exactly right. I have a 1997 Nissan hardbody with the exact same das and controls as my 1994 pathfinder. I took the dimmer switch out of my truck and put it in the pathfinder and I had my dash lights.

Now I have to figure out how to by pass the dimmer switch or go buy or order a new one.

I have always got the best advice from this forum (website) that has saved me money and time. Way to go npora.

Thanks,

brc

• Like 1

That happened to me as well. Fried the dimmer switch when installing a radio that ended up being farked. I just got a used one from the JY.

I actually have a spare around somewhere if you want it, for the price of shipping.

I appreciate the offer, buy I ordered one from rock auto.com this morning. I believe there is something wrong with my old radio. I just messed up re-installing it and now it has cost me $.

Thanks for the reply

• 4 years later...

Just killed my dash lights fracking around with my cruise control on switch (trying to bypass so cruise is always on) and nuked the dash lamps. Checked all the lamp fuses except tail kuz I figured that'd be a dumb fuse to use.... Gahhhh! It's 4am so I figured I'd go in the house and get on the interwebs and npora is always the first place I go... Hopefully I've found the solution here! FYI the fuse marked Meter kills the tach, and the alternator voltage output and kicks the battery light on. I think fuel and temp gauge also died but it's 4am, goodnight!