High idle

Hey guys so I've been contemplating trying to integrate a engine mounted compressor. But every where I have looked it mentions having to run at a higher idle. Has anyone tried to mount a high idle switch successfully? Has one been able to run a engine run compressor?

First I've heard of that being an issue, guess it depends on how much you're going to use the air with it idling though. Seems like the easiest thing would be to tap into the idle kickup switch on the power steering. Doesn't kick it up far but might be good enough.

I haven't done it myself but I know at least one guy on here has repurposed his A/C compressor for air.

• 1 month later...

I don't think the guy did a writeup. IIRC the trouble with our aircon compressors is that they don't have internal oiling like a York, but instead rely on oil flowing through the system with the refrigerant. This means you need an oiler on the input side (like you'd use for automatically oiling air tools) and an oil catcher on the other side so you don't fill your pressure tank with oil. I've read some good writeups elsewhere for using a York (with parts lists and all) but not for the compressors we've got--then again I haven't really looked. I like air conditioning!

• Like 1