mjotrainbrain's Build Thread

If you're curious, here's Nissan's tech bulletin for identifying and... I can't bring myself to say repairing the strut towers, because I've read it.

The bulletin might give you some idea of what Nissan considers terminal, though, which could help you gauge how bad yours is and what areas you need to worry about as far as structure. Hopefully your fab guy can repair the damage properly. Good luck!

For some reason this won't open anymore, and I can't seem to find the panels online. Does anybody have a link to them or the part #? I need to send the info about them to my fab guy so he can order what he needs to get it fixed about 1 month from now. (And yes, I'm excited!)

I still had a link saved to the repair bulletin, here are the Nissan part numbers for the bracket kits.

F4195 0W00C drivers side

F4194-0W00A passenger side

Thank you very much!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Still working on getting scheduled for that work. The guy who's going to do it has three LJ's he has to have done by later this month, and right now he's working solo with a back problem that he recently got. I'm in no rush as long as it's done before winter, and he assures me it'll be less than two months for sure, maybe closer to one depending on how fast he's able to work. In other news, school is incredibly busy and difficult right now (this college stuff is harder than I'd expected), so sorry for being a tad behind on the TotM stuff. Congrats to the winner (I think it's NIssanBoston). Infiniti is running strong as always. Just hit 145K yesterday.

IMG_20180406_095403542_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rust is an evil mistress. Got exams Monday and Tuesday, then I'm planning to go full ham on it. Did a small spot yesterday since it was so nice out and had a peak under the truck, and I'm inspired again. Other than the front end and a couple spots, it's a super solid vehicle. I'm determined to keep it around for a couple more decades.

On another note, postimage.org has failed me. My signature and a few other pics turned into dead URL's. I'm doing Imgur now. Obligatory picture:

wOCBQYGl.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah dude all my photos hosted by postimage are gone! Man that sucks, is there any way to edit old posts with new host links? Seems like such a waste

Unfortunately not. A couple pages back on my thread, when PhotoBucket took a dump on everybody, I reposted all my pics, just titling them which which post # they belong with.

Hmm, yeah my pics in posts seem botched now too. However...one thing I've noticed over time is that Postimage tends to cycle through URLs for some odd reason...my bookmark for postimg.org doesn't work, but I see all my pics at postimages.org, which redirects me to postimg.cc, which I've not seen before (I've seen the others). Hopefully they're still working on some traffic redirects.

• Like 1

Hmm, yeah my pics in posts seem botched now too. However...one thing I've noticed over time is that Postimage tends to cycle through URLs for some odd reason...my bookmark for postimg.org doesn't work, but I see all my pics at postimages.org, which redirects me to postimg.cc, which I've not seen before (I've seen the others). Hopefully they're still working on some traffic redirects.

How strange. I really should start hosting my own pictures somehow.

• 4 weeks later...

Much to my disappointment, I'm going to have to put camber bolts back in. The tires are wearing much faster than I had anticipated. Grabbed a 1.75* one from the local Advance Auto, and it's not nearly enough adjustment. I think I'll have to do two on each side.

Hey big fan of your truck! This thread has given me some valuable info.

I might have missed it earlier in the thread but I was wondering if you had any issues with the 15" rims rubbing on your brake calipers. I've seen a few guys on here who have 15" wheels on their facelift R50's and it seems only some of them have rubbing issues. Do yours clear fine due to the backspacing?

• Like 1

Hey, thanks for the compliment!

I have no issues with the wheels fitting, there's even a teeny bit of room to spare! Unfortunately fitment varies from wheel to wheel, so I can guarantee that ProComp Series 51 15" wheels fit, but I can't guarantee any other 15's. I can find the exact part # of the wheels I have if you'd like. I believe they were $55 each new.

• Like 1

Hey, thanks for the compliment!

I have no issues with the wheels fitting, there's even a teeny bit of room to spare! Unfortunately fitment varies from wheel to wheel, so I can guarantee that ProComp Series 51 15" wheels fit, but I can't guarantee any other 15's. I can find the exact part # of the wheels I have if you'd like. I believe they were $55 each new.

If you came a across the part number that would be great! The series 51 are the wheels I’m looking at. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If you came a across the part number that would be great! The series 51 are the wheels Im looking at. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PCW51-5883

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, big news folks.  My R50's replacement is here, and yup, it's a Toyota.  Unfortunately I determined that the rust on my QX4 was just too extreme.  I could have kept it going I'm sure, but it would have became increasingly sketchy with each passing winter, (I figure 2 more would have made the vehicle potentially quite dangerous, and at least no longer trustworthy offroading) and would have been expensive and time consuming to keep together.  Hopefully it will be able to sell to somebody who has some good welding skills who can keep it going for a long time.  In the meantime, I've purchased a 2003 4Runner SR5 V8 with 174k miles.  It has some surface rust on the frame, but other than that and a few little things it's in fantastic shape.  After a few hours underneath it with POR15 and a wire brush I think it'll be able to serve my offroading and daily driving needs very well for a long time.  I really don't want to have to sell my QX4, as it was my first car and has given me nearly 3 years of fantastic memories.  Honestly other than rust just about everything about it is perfect in my mind, however the work to switch everything over to a clean body (let along finding one for a reasonable price) isn't worth it to me.  Don't confuse this as a lightly taken decision, I've been thinking about it for about 6 months, but I made the decision to move on about two weeks ago.  So far I really miss my super nice interior, but other than that I can't say that the 4th gen 4Runner disappoints in any way.  This community here at NPORA has been unbelievably fantastic to me over the years.  I hope to remain in contact with those of you who I have built relationships with, and beyond that I will continue to check the forum frequently so I can continue to learn and answer questions (I do intend to get a nice southern rig and build one again after I finish college) and perform my TotM mod duties; it's really the least I can do considering how awesome y'all have been.  So rest assured it isn't farewell to me, but it is certainly farewell to my rig.  Let's just hope I don't have the pain of seeing it in in a junkyard a couple years from now...although if I do I'll certainly stock up for the next build.

ps. I'll picture dump when I get a chance.  This is pretty much the last chance to request specific pictures or information that I may not be able to acquire once I don't have the rig sitting in the driveway.

pps. Sorry to spoil to the new forum like this!

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Good luck with the yota. I may be following you soon, still debating. 

At least with your new rig, the aftermarket is a little more robust.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Citron said:

Good luck with the yota. I may be following you soon, still debating. 

At least with your new rig, the aftermarket is a little more robust.

It's definitely a nice platform.  I'd have liked a limited, but I figure I'll keep an eye out for seats at a junkyard.  It's honestly really well equipped for a relatively base model, and it feels super solid.  And yeah, definitely more aftermarket, although it does seem fairly expensive.  Plan is to take it slow and build something pretty sweet.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

Not easy giving up on a rig. Been there. Glad to hear you'll still be around though, and hope the Yota treats you well!

Thanks, and I hope so too!  Going to get it registered and insured tomorrow so I'll finally be able to properly drive it and get a real feel for it.