removing the stereo tricky?

Hey everybody, so I'm going to try and pull my stereo out to check and see if the wires are actually placed properly as it may be what's causing my stereo to reset each time I turn the car off. My question is, how tricky is it to remove the stereo here? I haven't done too much tinkering around with this vehicle yet. Thanks in advance!

Sent on the go!

Have you checked both fuses? There should be one that has power all the time and one that has power when the key is on. It sounds like you're missing the one that is hot all the time. Is it the factory stereo?

• Like 2

^ That's where I'd start!

Getting to the radio itself isn't too hard. IIRC (been a while) you pull the ashtray out, remove a couple of screws from the center bezel, pull the bezel (helps to pull the shifter out of park), then the radio and its fasteners should be right in front of you. If it's aftermarket, and the fuses in the box check out, you may be right about the constant positive lead being disconnected. Hopefully the PO didn't leave you a suitcase connector fustercluck in there.

Have you checked both fuses? There should be one that has power all the time and one that has power when the key is on. It sounds like you're missing the one that is hot all the time. Is it the factory stereo?

Yeah I replaced the fuses, didn't help lol.

Sent on the go!

^ That's where I'd start!

Getting to the radio itself isn't too hard. IIRC (been a while) you pull the ashtray out, remove a couple of screws from the center bezel, pull the bezel (helps to pull the shifter out of park), then the radio and its fasteners should be right in front of you. If it's aftermarket, and the fuses in the box check out, you may be right about the constant positive lead being disconnected. Hopefully the PO didn't leave you a suitcase connector fustercluck in there.

Thank you! I'll dig in after work.

Sent on the go!

If it's not the stock stereo make sure that they have connected both the power and acc. wires on the new one. You aren't getting constant power from the bat. if you have to reset things after the truck is shut off. Other than that... I have no further ideas. If that's your photo and you have to check wires under the dash, I think you'll fit under there better than most us around here.

Edited by kdj
  • Like 1

The stereo resetting itself sounds like a battery terminal connection issue. The same thing was happening to me, then I noticed the clock on the dash was saying 1:00. This happens when a battery lead is loose. I found the negative cable was loose so tightened it, no more problems.

More than likely someone didn't hook up the memory wire of the stereo. Getting in there is easy enough, I'd give you instructions but you have a square dash truck so I'm not familiar. On the round dash trucks there are two screws going vertical below the vents/buttons, and from there you just gotta pull the trim piece out, only clips beyond those two screws. But like I said, your truck might be different. from there the stereo is just bolted to the truck with a bracket. take those out and the whole assembly comes out and you can inspect the wiring.

• Like 1

More than likely someone didn't hook up the memory wire of the stereo. Getting in there is easy enough, I'd give you instructions but you have a square dash truck so I'm not familiar. On the round dash trucks there are two screws going vertical below the vents/buttons, and from there you just gotta pull the trim piece out, only clips beyond those two screws. But like I said, your truck might be different. from there the stereo is just bolted to the truck with a bracket. take those out and the whole assembly comes out and you can inspect the wiring.

^this^.

If it's an aftermarket head unit, the constant power should be the yellow wire. Sometimes there is a fuse in that wire.

Edited by RF600

So I pulled the harness and the stereo itself out and there's couple of clusters but I can't quite tell what needs to be switched around.

Sent on the go!

Huh, a non-93 with auto climate control... they do exist!

I can't see a whole lot of the wiring for the stereo itself. Is it aftermarket? It looks aftermarket but it's been a long time since I saw the back of a stock one. Can you get a picture of the wires coming out of the plug on the back of the radio, particularly the red and yellow ones?

Still no idea if factory or not. Guessing yes by the diversity switch?

But if you pull out that black plug that you can't see in the picture, and test from that yellow wire to ground (a clean spot on the metal frame under the dash should do), you should find 12v. Also check that fuse on the back of the radio on the off chance. It probably wouldn't work at all if that one was blown but it's easy enough to check.

The only other thing I'm seeing is that the white-wrapped harness in the dash looks like something jammed into it pretty hard. I don't think that one is audio but you should take a look and make sure you don't see bare copper.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still no idea if factory or not. Guessing yes by the diversity switch?

But if you pull out that black plug that you can't see in the picture, and test from that yellow wire to ground (a clean spot on the metal frame under the dash should do), you should find 12v. Also check that fuse on the back of the radio on the off chance. It probably wouldn't work at all if that one was blown but it's easy enough to check.

The only other thing I'm seeing is that the white-wrapped harness in the dash looks like something jammed into it pretty hard. I don't think that one is audio but you should take a look and make sure you don't see bare copper.

Thank you! In the morning I will be able to have another go at it. I had to fight like hell to get the deck back in place. There is so much going on back there I can't maneuver to many things. I imagine if I take my compact mirror I should actually be able to see where things are connected behind the dash.

Sent on the go!