Steering Problem - NEED ANSWERS ASAP!

BrianD

My 98 Pathy steering problem started last year. When driving the steering wheel wud get fairly hard to turn to do minor adjustments to keep it in the hiway lanes.

I asked my buddy who used to work for MOOG & teach front end geometry about it. He came over and after some head scratching he said let's start with a fluid change/ flush of the power steering pump. Using a turkey baster I removed as much fluid from the pump as I cud and did a flush using some ?? power steering flush stuff ( i don't remeber what the name was now). That helped the prolm but the steering has always been a bit stiff.

Recently when driving it wud seem like the steering wud Freeze SOLID for a moment and was freaking me out as U might imagine.

Took it to my mechanic - did a bunch of tests to analyze what the source prolm is.

More head scratching and decided it was the pump - got one from the auto wreckers - installed it - NO CHANGE! DOH!

Then we disassembled the steering box and steering column U joints. The U joint on the end of the steering column is quite crunchy so he now wants to change it. I'm not so sure about that and can't believe the power steering can't over power the little bit of crunchy resistance in the U joint. The strut bearings aren't making any noise & there was new ball joints installed a few years ago.

It's supposed to go back in tomorrow to get this prolm fixed ( and now the one exhaust pipe blew out Saturday nite).

So far 4 hours was spent on this and $80 for a used pump with no fix.

I Don't wanna change the rack and get no satisfaction. - So far $$$$ spent and prolm hasn't been fixed.

PLEASE if anyone has a solution what this might be, let me know yer thots ASAP - Please!.

Brian

Sounds like a blocked passage in your rack and pinion. Or the internal seals are shot.

Any decent mechanical shop can diagnose it properly. If so can rebuild it or try a junker one. Rebuilt from parts store.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'd 3rd that. Brian I see you patched the same hole as I have in my old Chilkoot front frame rail. Did you just do the outside or the whole (hole) thing? I'm just about to send my brother the welder under mine with the TIG and a pile of plate steel.

Have you checked the power steering pressure sensor. I had the same prob and that fixed it. Pulled a sensor from local junkyard and they didnt even charge me for it. Here is a link with a picture of the lower hose where you will find the sensor

http://www.partsgeek.com/mmparts/power_steering_hose/nissan/pathfinder.html

• 1 year later...

Thanx for the info on the pressure sensor ...cause it's BAAAACK! again. It's getting so stiff when I turn it won't straighten out after a turn. So U got the entire pipe/ hose assembly that's posted in yer link then? Can U get just the electronic sensor? How did U decide that replacing this wud be the best option? It makes sense cause I've flushed it and changed the pump (with used one from the wreckers) OOPS - I just found the separate sensor but still like to know how U made yer decision on just the sensor. Cheers

On a very different note. have you checked the strut tower....there is a recall on that year were due to to rust the strut tower can collapse and interfere with the steering column. sometime in its life the truck should have gone back to NISSAN and gotten a reinforcement plate put in but if not and it is rusted through the truck is junk and NISSAN should buy it back from you or fix it. I would say that the Tuck is not safe to drive if you can't steer properly. be VERY CAREFUL.

BTW: when I was a kid I lived way out on Ottawa St in Kitchener and went to Doon School. like 30 years ago.

• Like 1

i know a bad lower balljoint will cause stiff steering not sure how bad it would have to be to completely freeze up though. i would put my money on the rack or the sensor fixing it. but just throwing out another option to check.

The strut towers and all that are good...BUUT! I did spray some lube on the U joint on the end of the steering column while I was spraying some rusty areas and it AAAAALLL went away. It steers like NEW! Does this mean this is gonna fail and I be in the rhubarb?

I would call it the steering shaft lower u joint. You should be able to get it at an auto parts store, or go online to one of the Nissan parts places like courtesy Nissan or nissanparts.cc so you can see a parts diagram.

• Like 1