Squealing/Grinding

BigDex

I am new to the Pathy community. I am aware of what bad brakes sound like. so i know that they are not my issue. i have had my Ujoints checked and they are fine as well.

my issue is a squeal/grinding noise from time to time when slowing down and right after i accelerate. once i get to theird gear or about 20 mph it stops. the part that is stumping me is the fact that it does not happen every time or every day. can anyone help me or has anyone ever dealt with it before?

I had that kinda thing going on and discovered it was my front wheel bearings that were done. Once you get moving the individual bearings rotate into a balanced position by themselves and no longer make noise but when they are warmed up they have enough room to drop down the sides of the bearing making a nasty noise until they place themselves further apart while rolling.... just my two cents, and set of bearings worth. Unlike the rear bearings the front ones are tapered cage held in place with a locknut, 45 minutes a side for this first-timer (first wheel bearing ever changed on a car/truck/motorcycle) but easy as pie! Snap ring pliers, 6mm hex key, #2 Phillips/ star screwdriver, needlenose pliers, maybe a flatblade and hammer fi you're feeling really enthusiastic and want to change the races.

• Like 1

From what i can tell it sounds like its coming from the left front. and after reading both replies it makes perfect sense for it to be the wheel bearings. once i change them i will let yall know how it went. thank you.

Make sure you replace the races. It's easy, you'll want to buy a brass drift to get them out. The brass won't scratch or dent anything.

You can drive them in the same way as well, alternating sides so it goes in evenly. You'll also need a new inner wheel seal. The old race works well for driving that in.

You also want to fill the void between the outer races with wheel bearing grease. You'll need a spanner wrench to adjust the wheel bearing as well.

• 4 months later...