Lift info

kent9571

I recently purchased a 2002 qx4. And before I start, I have little knowledge on ifs. My knowledge is pretty limited to pre 85 Toyota's.

That being said, I'm pretty sure the front left strut is pretty worn out. I'd like to lift it a few inches to get better ground clearance while still keeping it a family based daily driver and clear 33's. Since I'll already be replacing the struts, what would be the easiest way to gain lift? Could I buy bigger struts and coils without changing cv axles? Not looking to buy sfd or coil spacers. Any help would be greatly appreciated

There's quite a bit of information on here and nico.

Basically, without a subframe drop you're not going to get much more than 2" out of the standard options:

1.) AC lift kit

2.) OME lift kit

3.) Fleurys' spacers

I've heard some guys combining the lift kit with Fleurys' spacers but I don't know much about the stresses and wear you'd be introducing the r50 to by doing that.

If you want to fit 33's without a lot of trimming your best bet is a sub frame drop. I have the 2" ac lift with 31's now and thats about all it will fit without excessive trimming not to mention the lift coils make the truck ride pretty rough.

Looks like I'll have to just straight axle then. I wouldn't mind trimming but I think my wife would

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Well you defiantly could do a SAS but it would be expensive and a lot of custom fab work. I found an older post from pirate 4x4 with a pretty good write up on it.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/nissan/1116165-1998-nissan-pathfinder-r50-sas.html

I considered doing this myself but you could honestly buy an 80 series Land Cruiser for less and they come with electric lockers stock :lmao:.

You could do a sub frame drop for a lot less and install one of the Lokka lockers and have a pretty mean rig (thats what I think I will end up doing). There is a few people on these forums that would build you a sfd kit for around $400.

Well you defiantly could do a SAS but it would be expensive and a lot of custom fab work. I found an older post from pirate 4x4 with a pretty good write up on it.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/nissan/1116165-1998-nissan-pathfinder-r50-sas.html

I considered doing this myself but you could honestly buy an 80 series Land Cruiser for less and they come with electric lockers stock :lmao:.

You could do a sub frame drop for a lot less and install one of the Lokka lockers and have a pretty mean rig (thats what I think I will end up doing). There is a few people on these forums that would build you a sfd kit for around $400.

I just hate body lifts.

I would love an old fj60 or 62. But my wife likes the interior of the qx4.

I've done solid axle swaps before so it's not terribly difficult anymore. Plus I've got a spare Dana 44 so that'll make things quite easier. All I'll need to really do is look at the steering and tcase. No matter what, it'll be a while before my wife will let me mess with it

If you already have your Dana 44 that's half the battle right there...your rig would be so much better off with a SAS especially if you have the know how to do it...I would go that route if I was you

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I just hate body lifts.

I would love an old fj60 or 62. But my wife likes the interior of the qx4.

I've done solid axle swaps before so it's not terribly difficult anymore. Plus I've got a spare Dana 44 so that'll make things quite easier. All I'll need to really do is look at the steering and tcase. No matter what, it'll be a while before my wife will let me mess with it

Yeah if you have the axle I would go that route. I don't think you have to mess with the transfer case though. You have to build a cross member to weld your link brackets to and make an adapter for your coilovers where the struts go but other than that it doesn't look to difficult. Im assuming you plan on locking it too. If I had the time and funds I would do it myself! :laugh:

• Like 1

Yeah if you have the axle I would go that route. I don't think you have to mess with the transfer case though. You have to build a cross member to weld your link brackets to and make an adapter for your coilovers where the struts go but other than that it doesn't look to difficult. Im assuming you plan on locking it too. If I had the time and funds I would do it myself! :laugh:

I might just run leafs till I can save a little more money. And yeah it'll definitely be locked. Can't go anywhere with open diffs! It's already got a lsd in the rear but that'll all come out when I start the straight axle. Since this will end up replacing the wife's current toy 93ca9b8e0e1abd814830eaed5a31d727.jpg

I imagine I'll have to ditch the d44 idea and just step up to d60... I've already rebuilt the d44 in her ford and she blew another one. (Along with a few axle shafts) so for the sake of my patience and peace of mind, I'll probably beef it up. The only question now is width... I could stuff a built yota axle in it or go full width. I like the idea of low and wide but everyone wants an arm and a leg for a d60. I can get a yota axle pretty easy but then I have to buy $800 rcv shafts. I've got lockers for toyota axles. And 3rd members so matching gear ratios will be easy. Not so much for a d60. Hmm. Back to the opinion board once again!

I'll stuff a steering box in there somewhere and run manual steering if I have to!

That all seems like a lot of extra effort just to fit 33" tires and not do any sheetmetal trimming or install a SFD.

I might just run leafs till I can save a little more money. And yeah it'll definitely be locked. Can't go anywhere with open diffs! It's already got a lsd in the rear but that'll all come out when I start the straight axle. Since this will end up replacing the wife's current toy 93ca9b8e0e1abd814830eaed5a31d727.jpg

I imagine I'll have to ditch the d44 idea and just step up to d60... I've already rebuilt the d44 in her ford and she blew another one. (Along with a few axle shafts) so for the sake of my patience and peace of mind, I'll probably beef it up. The only question now is width... I could stuff a built yota axle in it or go full width. I like the idea of low and wide but everyone wants an arm and a leg for a d60. I can get a yota axle pretty easy but then I have to buy $800 rcv shafts. I've got lockers for toyota axles. And 3rd members so matching gear ratios will be easy. Not so much for a d60. Hmm. Back to the opinion board once again!

How do you mount the leaf springs since there is no frame? And yeah if you plan on running 37's the d44 would probably not last that long. If you can get a built toyota axle I would go that route. Do you have a picture of your QX4?

How do you mount the leaf springs since there is no frame? And yeah if you plan on running 37's the d44 would probably not last that long. If you can get a built toyota axle I would go that route. Do you have a picture of your QX4?

7988bd21f7d97c1162b6bd8e69f293fd.jpg

I'll have to look at it from underneath. But I'm guessing a cross member kinda like the way the front hangers would be. Just weld a bar from the side of the sub frame back. Kinda like how you were talkin about the link setup

Ditch the subframe altogether...just need to fab up mounts to support the engine, then the area is freed up.

Then I'd have to build spring supports off the engine mounts. Hell, I might as well just get a spare yota and weld the body to the yota frame. Redneck grocery getter

Then I'd have to build spring supports off the engine mounts.

No you wouldn't. There's no spring support on the subframe. Just make an upper spring perch or coilover mount that bolts to the strut tower.

Edited by hawairish