Refrigerant Discharge?

Guts

My truck is torn apart in preparation for an engine pull but the refrigerant has not been discharged. How can i discharge it myself? I know it's recommended to get it done professionally but is this something i can just let vent in a well ventilated area and keep working once it has had time to clear?

No, never discharge refrigerant even in an enclosed area. The gas will be sitting there and as soon as you open a door, the gas will be sucked out. Also dangerous if anyone is smoking nearby and don't forget about your battery that can give off sparks. Refrigerant is very harmful to Earth's atmosphere and it's illegal to vent it into the air.

First off, are you sure you have to evacuate the A/C system? The compressor is hooked up via flexible lines and I would expect it to have enough slack to let you push or twist it out of your way once it's unbolted from the engine.

If you do have to evacuate the system, it is best to have it done professionally. Unless your '91 has been converted, it's probably still running R12, which is a greenhouse gas and eats ozone. If it's an R134a system (or it's been converted), then it won't eat ozone but it's still got some greenhouse to it. Oddly enough, though, it's still legal to use as a propellant, like in computer dusters or air horns. :scratchhead:

If either refrigerant does get out, there are a few immediate risks. It'll decompose into toxic stuff if heated or burned. Releasing any refrigerant sucks in loads of heat (that's how it works) and can give you serious frostbite if you aren't careful about how you release it. The gas is heavier than air, so if it gets in your lungs, it can stay there and asphyxiate you. And finally, your profile says you live in California, so I assume that means Arnold Schwarzenegger will come drop a Prius on you if he finds out what you've done.

It doesn't sound like the truck is in any state to drive to an A/C shop. You might try calling around to see if there's a shop with a portable system who'd be willing to come to you. I've read that some places will evacuate R12 and then put it back in for you afterwards.

I've heard of people trying to just unbolt the compressor and move it out of the way and having lines break or slip causing the refrigerant to get out anyway. I suppose I will call around a little and see if anyone can come to me to do it. If not then I will try to just gently move the compressor out of the way. If it springs a leak then I GTFO and ventilate the garage for a while I guess.

You can unbolt it and lay it near the air filter housing. I did this on mine. The lines are rubber, you won't break them. Don't waste the time/money discharging it.

Oh man, I overlooked the engine removal/install part. yeah like Adamzan said, you can unbolt it and move aside.