Manual Transmission Wear?

Guts

I drained my manual transmission. Last I knew, transmission fluid was pinkish or redish but this stuff looked like motor oil!

IMG_0935_zpsd23xubya.jpg

Also checked out the magnetic drain plug and I'm not really sure how much metal is too much.

Before:
IMG_0930_zpsavsjtjjc.jpg
IMG_0929_zpsrs4rtnsg.jpg
After:
IMG_0934_zpslhmlfoab.jpg
IMG_0932_zpshmiyqqjf.jpg
I'm in the progress of pulling the engine and I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to rebuild the transmission while I'm tearing into the truck or let it be till it fails. The little bit that I drove the truck it seemed like it shifted fine. Truck has 211,000 miles on it and for all i know this could still be the transmission from assembly in japan.

The fuzz on the magnet is normal. Automatic transmission fluid is red. Manual transmission fluid is usually a gear oil, which resembles a thick motor oil.

For these trucks you need to get a GL4 gear oil. Not GL5/GL4. The GL5 destroys the syncros. Based on the Teflon tape it's been replaced.

As said above, Auto trans fluid is dyed red and is a lot thinner oil, almost like machining oil than manual trans oil, which is almost the consistency of liquid honey and has a distinct oily odour.

That metallic fuzz is probably from everytime it's gone into reverse and shifted into first gear while still rolling backwards slowly. Not saying it's all you, probably from others over the years. Just keep changing the gear oil when it's needed and you'll be all good.

Ok good! I have only driven this car for a few blocks but the PO was a teenager so who knows how badly he treated this transmission. Glad to hear that this amount of metal is not necessarily a bad thing. Thanks!!