auto tranny overfilled

shanee11

hi

have just performed auto tranny fluid change.

i didnt know how old the fluid was because i only recently purchased the terrano.

i removed the tranny line near the radiator and run the engine to emptied the tranny, all went well.

i have refilled with synthetic fluid but have overfilled the tranny.

the level is about an inch to high up the dipstick.

will this effect performance or cause any damage to the box.

thanks in advance,

shane

Generally you can just check the color and smell of the fluid. If it's not cherry red or smells sweet, then it's old.

Make sure you let the motor run and shift the transmission through the gears. You check fluid level with the engine running and after the engine has fully warmed up. If you did this and it's still overfilled, you can just drain it a little by removing the transmission drain bolt on the bottom of the pan.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Like Cuong said, make sure you're checking with it warmed up and all. Even then it can be a little finicky about showing up properly on the stick.

I overfilled mine too, and drained out some excess with the transmission drain plug. Messy but got the job done. I've read that a significant overfill will make the trans act up, but I have no idea how overfull it has to be to cause problems.

If it's overfilled you will experience slipping bands inside the trans as the barrels are rolling through a higher than normal fluid level. Also you'll notice small bubbles on the dipstick. This is known as 'foaming' and from what I have read, bubbles being forced at a high rate against metal parts can do damage.