How to change a water pump on a TD27

Ok finally I have gotten around to doing this job, this is for the TD27 engine but I'm pretty sure it's good info for anyone else interested.

I have never changed a water pump before and if you haven't then it's actually not as scary as it seems. Just be prepared for a lot of cleaning.

Tools required -

Yourself (obviously)

New water pump (obviously)

10, 12 and 14 mm sockets

Rachet and extension

Loctite silicone or RTV gasket goo

Big bucket for draining coolant

Ear plugs (for plugging hose lines)

Phillips head and flat head screwdrivers

Steel wool (the kind that is infused with soap stuff)

Plastic scraper

1. Obviously, buy your water pump, making sure it matches up with your old one. There would be nothing worse than getting everything apart only to discover the thing doesn't fit!

I bought one that was for Nissan Navara 92-97, TD27. 143mm between fan blade bolts. I measured between the fan blade volts on mine and it was exactly 143mm. Plus the advertisement of TD27 was good.

2. Start by taking off the stone guard underneath and slide it out of the way.

3. It may be a good idea to get an old towel or big cardboard box you can unfold and protect your garage floor and slide that underneath now. Get your bucket or oil drain pan, drain the coolant. Open the radiator cap to get it flowing. Keep pets and children away from the coolant.

4. While that is draining, unscrew the radiator shroud, 4 screws on it, two on the top edges, two on the lower edges.

It might not even have screws, it might have cable ties. Undo whatever is there. The bottom shroud unclips from the top half by pushing in the retainer clips then slide the bottom piece out from under the engine. You'll remove the top shroud after the next step.

5. Undo the three 10mm screw bolts holding the overflow reservoir in place. There's two either side of it and one right down the bottom there. Using two extensions joined together makes getting that bolt easy to remove.

Undo top radiator hose complete from radiator joining to thermostat housing. Now you can slide radiator shroud out, be gentle not to damage the fins on the radiator.

6. With the radiator drained, slide underneath and remove the trans hoses going to the bottom of the rad tank. Here's where using the ear plugs comes in handy to plug the lines!

Unbolt the radiator from the two top screws and lift up to remove, again, be careful. You probably get a bit of coolant leak so have a towel ready.

7. Remove the fan, there's 4 ten mm bolts to remove.

8. Undo all of your belts that's in the way. Mine had three to come off, power steering, alternator and air conditioning belts in that order. Preferably take a photo of before so then you know how it all goes back on.

9. Finally you can now unbolt the water pump. There's two 14 mm bolts either side and the other 5 are 12 mm bolts (see picture)

854d8dd6efa936e92d519174598257e0.jpg

Usually a hit with a hammer will get the old water pump off just be careful not to damage the sealing surface.

Put the bolts in a safe place so you don't lose them.

Now here comes the fun part - cleaning the gasket surface mwhoawhowooahh. Nah, it's ok, but yeah, prepare yourself. Scrape as much gunk off as you can with a plastic scraper and don't gouge the surface. I found boiling the kettle then pouring that over it helped to loosen up the brittle stuff. Scrub ut clean with the steel wool until it shines like in the photo, spray it clean with hot water again and dry it well.

Get your gasket that came with the new water pump and only put a thin bead of sealant on. Press it onto the surface on the engine. Luckily there's two mounting bolts there so I won't fall off. Then do the same with the new water pump, sealant on the edge all the way around and then place it onto the engine side. Bolt everything back up.e60fe799f38af0f8265d2224e130b95d.jpg

You'll see I used only a 2mm wide adhesive and the stuff squishes out a bit. It's ok, at least it doesn't leak anymore!

Now more cleaning! Clean your radiator and flush it out, overflow reservoir and clean and degrease your fan and belts. I cleaned my belts and they actually had writing hidden under the crud! I even gave my radiator top a fresh coat of gloss black while it was out. May as well while it's out of there.

Anyway, sorry for rambling on, and I hope this helps out anyone else.

• Like 1

I usually skip the sealant goo.

A couple dabs of weather strip adhesive to hold the gasket to the pump, set it on something flat to keep the gasket set, clean up the surface real nice, install. Torque fasteners to spec.

Haven't had any leaks. I don't like risking a chunk of rtv clogging something up. Worked wonders with the thermostat.

I usually skip the sealant goo.

A couple dabs of weather strip adhesive to hold the gasket to the pump, set it on something flat to keep the gasket set, clean up the surface real nice, install. Torque fasteners to spec.

Haven't had any leaks. I don't like risking a chunk of rtv clogging something up. Worked wonders with the thermostat.

Interesting that it doesn't leak with minimal sealant. I want to trim off the excess on mine but I think I'll just leave it be, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I had an experience once with a thermostat housing that had gasket goo squished out on the seam and stupid me cut the stuff off around the edge and the damn thing started leaking. That was a learning curve for me.