How to - Removing the hood decorative vents

You know those three plastic things on the front of the bonnet, I'm not really sure what they do as they aren't really offering much ventilation for the radiator, but anyway, this is how you can remove them if you are interested, for painting or whatever.

Open the hood and look on the inside where you will see where the other side of the plastic is. There is three nubs of plastic on this side with little fin structures. Use a flat head screwdriver or a fork to push these in and you'll feel it pop out, then remove. Very handy to remove them for painting instead of trying to do it while they are still on the hood. I even thought about cutting a larger slit down the middle of each one to get more air through them.

Another idea I had was installing led strips into each of them but was unsure how to hide the wiring because when you open and close the hood the wiring might catch on stuff.

I popped the ones out of my '95 ages ago and yes, there is a tiny slit in each one. I enlarged the slit on mine slightly by cutting the baffle looking deal off the back. Even then, I suspect more air gets into the engine bay through the hood gaps.

I think the idea was the smaller the gap, the air is compressed into a fine stream of air for better cooling of the top radiator tank. Think of a garden spray nozzle, the finer the spray, the water droplets are either a blast of water or a fine mist.

• 1 month later...

They are pretty useless. I wanna get a matching green good off of a hardbody so I can get ride of those things. They most likely create more drag on the truck(which is not needed).

They are pretty useless. I wanna get a matching green good off of a hardbody so I can get ride of those things. They most likely create more drag on the truck(which is not needed).

I doubt the drag is noticable to a point of better mileage.

I'm not an engineer nor do I have access to a wind tunnel. The vents are there for a reason. Maybe to disrupt the air flow to allow it to go over the vehicle better? I didn't design the vehicle.

Common sense would dictate that a large flat area is bad for air flow to start with.

They are there for you reason, I agree. I believe they are to distribute the wind to create less drag on the front nose, kind of directing the air into the nose, rather than straight against a flat panel.

You guys are overthinking the holy hell outta this one. Those vents are there for the same reason Mustangs have fake brake scoops, H3 Hummers have fake hood louvers, and my friend's FWD commuter car came with a spoiler.

Somebody on the design team thought it looked cool.

Seriously, you think the WD21 was designed in a wind tunnel?

Edited by Slartibartfast

Seriously, you think the WD21 was designed in a wind tunnel?

If it was, that has to be the worst wind tunnel in history :lol:

Edited by KovemaN
  • Like 1