Rust Issue

cpeterson15

Sorry to see you having frame rot. Before getting into how to go about fixing it, I would take a further look along the frame. Tap away with a small hammer and see what you are left with. If you have rot in that spot I'm assuming there is more, particularly towards the rear of the truck.

Once you know how much you are dealing with and where the weak spots are structurally more people can chime in here with solutions. You also need to consider the laws where you live. In some jurisdictions it is not legal to weld up frames on passenger vehicles.

• Like 1

I would still just go out there and tap away along the entire frame. Make sure to check out the horizontal portions too. There are drain holes along the bottom that get clogged up over time. You can use a screwdriver to poke around and open them up. If there is a lot of debris in the frame you will likely have to use your hose and shoot water through it to loosen it up. Squirt some...well a lot of liquid dish washing detergent to help break up the junk inside. I find its easiest having the front elevated to let gravity help move the water through it.

Adamzan's keen eye noticed that the rear of the frame has already been plated/patched so it would be good to see how the work was done and how its holding up.

If you see that parts are crumbling off then by all means go check out some shops that will weld it up.

Thank you I will do that. Over the summer I used Eastwood interior Frame coating on the inside of the box frame to slow any rust and on the exterior of the frame I used Eastwood rust encapsulator which has held up great. The patch is strong no issues with that. I may bring it into a weld shop and see what they can do I will update when I figure out if they can weld another patch over this hole.

I hate to say it but you're going to find a lot more as you look. Best to get it patched up now. Most shops won't touch them. A good time to learn to weld. Or find a friend that knows how.