Engine temperature

Guys, what is the normal engine operating temperature on the 3.5L (2001-2004 Pathfinder)?

When pushed hard, i.e going 80 mph uphills, the engine temp needle stays the same whereas the ultra-gauge, plugged in to OBD 2, shows 220F. On norma driving, it varies between 200-210F. On the old pathfinder with 3.3L, it was only between 190 and 210F, maybe 215F on a super hot day and today was cold and chilly.

Thanks.

The ScanGauge attached to my 2001 Nissan Pathfinder runs about 177 dF during sustained 75 mph runs during the winter in Dallas, and at most 198 dF during the summer. Never seen it go above that. It has the 3.5, and it is a manual transmission 4x4.

Edited by colinnwn

I see. My temp needle stays at 40-50% on normal driving 75-80 mph at 3000-3250 rpm (5-speed). The ultra-gauge reading goes between 195 and 215 F. It jumps from 199 to 203 to 206 to 210 and maybe back to 203, etc. At once instant, when doing 80 mph uphill with lights and stereo/amp/sub turned on, the temperature went up to 230F and that was when the needle went to 60-70%. As soon as I turned them off, the temperature came back down to 205-210F and so was the temp gauge needle. I am thinking a weak alternator or possible replace the fan clutch first (I know it is going bad and I thought I can get a few more months out of it).

This morning I discovered that the coolant in the coolant reservoir was 3" from overflowing, way past the max limit and the radiator is empty. I think that could be the reason why. I am gonna get that checked out this weekend. I will be buying premix coolant for the meantime.

This morning I discovered that the coolant in the coolant reservoir was 3" from overflowing, way past the max limit and the radiator is empty. I think that could be the reason why. I am gonna get that checked out this weekend. I will be buying premix coolant for the meantime.

I think you will find that to be a bad radiator cap.

This is exactly why I don't like these stupid buffered gauges. If it weren't for your diligence with an aftermarket temperature monitor, you would have never known there was an actual problem until you were on the side of the road. They might as well get rid of the gauge and just replace it with an idiot light....after all that is how they function.

-rant over-

Edited by NovaPath

Yeah, the temperature gauge does not move until you're about 175 F and stays where its at, halfway point, until 220 F. A lot can happen in the meantime. Pass 220 F, it will shoot up to just before max. The $50 ultra-gauge has saved me on two occasions now.