Fluctuating idle

Jase0425

So I have a 02 pathy SE 4x4 and it first is idling high when you first start it then once it gets warm it starts to fluctuate from between 1200-1500 rpm. This all started happening after I changed the spark plugs. I have sence changed the iac valve and I am in the possess of changing the pcv valve. Now since i have to take off the intake manifold to get to the pcv valve does anyone have any ideas as to what else I can change or replace while the manifold is off and also what might be causing the fluctuating idle??? When I took apart the manifold there was one power valve that had lost the screws and the round valve was lodged in another power valve. I have replaced the screws and placed lock tight on them but I don't know if that is what is causing the problems. Thanks guys.

I'd do the vac lines and look possible issues with the intake gasket. Any codes? IIRC there's some kind of idle relearn thing you could try as well, should be in the service manual.

Too bad about the valve screws. Hopefully the missing ones found their way back out without doing too much damage.

All the torque info is in the FSM link that Slartibartfast provided. It's an extremely valuable resource. For you valve covers, not only does it give the torque, but also the recommended tightening procedure. See EM-34.

no it has never cut off but the idle fluctuation does change a little if I have the AC or heat on. but I just replaced the IAC valve and it is still fluctuating.

Edited by Jase0425

I don't know I am just throwing things out there but does anyone think it might have to do with the TPS Sensor?? could that be causing the problems?

The only reason I asked is because when mine went bad it burned up a component in my ECM. A guy from another forum help me pinpoint it. Did you do the idle relearn process after you put the new one on?

here is another thing I don't know if its because the idle is high but after I turn it on with in 5 seconds the fan kicks on and it will never slow down. and the radiator gets really hot really fast but the temperature gauge does not show it as overheating at all the temp goes from cold to a little under half way hot then stops. and after turning on it heats up really fast as well. I am running out of ideas and I really hope its not the ECM because those things are expensive and I cant afford that. can I replace the ECM with one from a junk yard with out having to change anything else or is that too much of a hassle?

Shot in the dark here, you had to drain some coolant to pull the manifold, right? Did you bleed the air out of it afterwards? If the cooling system has a big bubble at the top, that could be making it act a little weird, especially if any of the temp sensors are in that air bubble. I know the VGs have a bleed screw on the manifold. The L/C section of the service manual is where I'd start looking for how to bleed the VQ.

• 2 weeks later...

I sent my computer to circuitboardmedics.com when it happened to me. They repaired it for about $250 and shipped it back. Didn't have to have anything reprogrammed. Just did the idle relearn process and everything was fine.

So I have diagnosed the idle fluctuation problem as the ECM/PCM so I was wondering if it is possible to switch it out with an operating one from the junk yard and if so is there something else I need to replace along with the ecm I'm on a really tight budget so I'm just throwing that idea out there just wondering if it's actually possible or not? Is the ecm vehicle specific?

You can put another ecm from another car but you will have to have it reprogrammed. Your keys won't work with the new ecm. I've heard that some locksmiths were able to do this but you may have to take it to the stealership to have it done. I didn't want to chance it so I had mine repaired. You would also do the idle relearn with the new ecm. Maybe someone that replaced theirs instead of repairing will chime in with more info.

• 2 months later...

I'd do the vac lines and look possible issues with the intake gasket. Any codes? IIRC there's some kind of idle relearn thing you could try as well, should be in the service manual.

Too bad about the valve screws. Hopefully the missing ones found their way back out without doing too much damage.

I don't have a Consult2 reader. Am I out of luck?