R50 rear LSD question

jdmark

Howdy,

I have an open rear diff in my 97 QX4. Would I be able to swap the LSD from an 01 Pathfinder over? Could I swap just the LSD guts over or would I need to swap the entire carrier over? Thanks!

The LSD carrier is different than the open carrier, so you'll need to unbolt the ring gear from your open carrier and install it onto the LSD carrier, then re-adjust the R/P preload and backlash when you drop the ring gear/diff back into the third member.

If you can get the complete 3rd member with the same gearing, you can just swap the whole thing for minimal price difference and work. Some Frontiers and Xterras had the same gear ratios (be careful about the HG43 and HG46 axle codes; there were two ratios for each), and there were different torque ratings by model and year. You can use the LSD carriers from any 33-spline diff, but if the gear ratio is different, you'll have to put your current ring gear onto the carrier and set it up like XPLORx4 mentioned.

Thanks for the info. Trying to lock the rear simply/cost effectively (at least less than the only aftermarket options which appear around $1k range). Welding the diff is probably a bit too aggressive :)

• 3 weeks later...

I did this to my 99 SE with XPLORx4's LSD a long time ago. Mine was open diff and Dean got a locker. :)

I thought all Qx4 have LSD!

And so you swapped over the entire diff, carrier and all?

It was an option on QX4's. I found a 97 QX4 locking rear axle assembly at a junkyard about 200 miles away, best option at this point. Wonder if it would even be worth it though (given the amount of work and $200 price of diff)

I had factory LSD in my pathy and one of the clips that hold the clutch packs broke. To save time and money I went the the local junkyard and pulled an open diff ( no LSD on the lot that day) and swapped the entire carrier. Just a few weeks ago my friend found a LSD on the lot and we pulled it and swapped out the open one. It is real simple swap as long as the gears are the same. 4 bolts for the driveshaft, 4 nuts for each axle so you can slide the shaft out of the carrier and the the nuts that hold the carrier. Careful though, the carrier weighs about 70-lbs and awkward to handle. May want to enlist in a second pair of hands :)