1995 Pathfinder Headlight switch pin contacts & Headlights stay on when car is OFF

OptimusPrimeX

Hello all .. this is my first post in the forums, usually just lurking

Have a few questions...

- Headlights stay on when truck is OFF
- Headlight switch ... Driver-side headlight is out ( brights and normal )

( and yes :aok:
i searched the forums, found similar topics but didn't explain details i need)

My 1995 pathfinder now has Two issues

1. My headlights will stay on when the car is off, so it's become really annoying lately. I have to
pop the hood and disconnect the negative cable when i park.

2. I disconnected the headlight switch from the column to look at the pins. I had seen in a few
discussions that sometimes the pins need to be cleaned. I put it back in without cleaning it to inspect it
and now my driver side headlight is out.

How does one even clean the pins, since the pin would need to be bent up.
I slightly bent up one to inspect and i think it's NOT making contact so the driver side is out.

Here's the thing, are all 5 pins suppose to make contact and when the lever is positioned it disengages contact
or is it the other way around. I really just want to get the driver-side headlight working again, which pin would it be ?
I can't see how they could be cleaned without bending them up without being able to
bend them back down. Since trying to bend them back into position wouldn't work without taking the whole dam thing
apart since there's no room to bend down. It could be a coincidence and the bulb blew on the driver-side but the timing
of me taking out the switch doesn't make sense, but possible. Didn't feel like taking the intake parts off to get to the
headlight just yet if i don't have to. Doesn't help that it's cold as hell out and also night time >_O

Also since i read that this is a "hot" system, there is no "headlight relay". So i'm thinking that there is a wire somewhere
that is grounding or something idk...

These are the pins.. i need to know if they always contact or make contact when switched so i can try to fix this.
Not my picture.. just one i found

Headlight%20lever%20switch_resized_zpsgp

Any suggestions would be much appreciated....

Have you check the headlight fuses on the passenger side fender wall. They are both 10A if I recall correctly. Sorry not near my truck

Thanks for the suggestion, yes i did.

I ended up sanding the contacts inside the blinker switch and both headlights are working now.

Now i need to figure out why the heck the headlights stay on when it's off :/

So with the headlight switch OFF, the headlights remain ON? Are the markers on as well?

And just to dig deeper. The headlights remain on through each of the three positions of the headlight switch?

Edited by silverton

So with the headlight switch OFF, the headlights remain ON? Are the markers on as well?

And just to dig deeper. The headlights remain on through each of the three positions of the headlight switch?

I found something today but i'll get to that.

Yes the headlights stay on when they are in the "off" position.

ONLY the headlights are on, not the markers. When the car is off and the headlights are on,

switching to the brights puts them on low-beam.

when the car is turned on, the positions are correct, except the headlights don't turn off.

(low beam is on when the car is running and in off position.

I found something rather strange, although i'm told there is no relay, there is a Bosch relay that

clicks when i connect the negative battery terminal. I don't recall ever hearing a clicking like that when working on other cars, but maybe i just wasn't paying attention. It's almost like a POP.

So maybe that has something to do with it ? I don't know how to read electrical schematics but i need to find the PDF of my Pathy repair manual.

Amazon link

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-332019150-Relay/dp/B0010ADJIE

relay%20resized_3_zpsituyx8t1.jpg

relay%20resized_2_zpsown0fdun.jpg

The fog light relay only ties into one headlight's low beam, and you're having both stay on. This makes me suspect it's a symptom of the low beams staying on rather than the cause (unless your headlight harness has been modified).

What I would do is unplug the headlight switch and see if that makes the stubborn lights go out. If it does, pull the back off again, cycle the control stick around, and see if all the contacts are opening like they should. If the contacts for the low beam are bent up, the throw they get from the switch might not be enough to open them, but it sounds like they were doing this before you opened the switch. That makes me wonder if the mechanism that moves those contacts is broken or jammed up. I haven't heard of one failing like that but it's about all I can think of.

If the lights don't go out with the switch removed, then you're in for a whole other round of fun.

I don't think it could light both, not with factory wiring anyway. The two headlights have completely separate wiring all the way to the switch (and separate contacts inside), and the fog light signal wire only taps into one of them. If positive shorted to signal inside the relay, you could get one light coming on, but unless the harness has been modified or the switch is faulty, I don't think it would do both.

If the headlights are staying on when you have flicked the switch to the off position, then one of those brass fingers must be still making contact with the magnet inside the switch. This happened to me because I bent the fingers too much when I did the contact clean out.

Did you watch the brass fingers move as you moved the switch to on and off? Could be a long shot, but it could be a faulty headlight bulb too.