Advice on coolant flush/heater hose inlet hose? 92SE

92SEPathFindr

I thought the overflow, drained out the bottom ?

No the older VG30's (87ish) had the air bleeder screw in the upper radiator hose, the VG30E's have it near the intake manifold, right side towards the rear.

Your last pic looks like a pic from a used car lot, where they spray that crap that makes everything shiny to make it look new !

Metal tank radiator too ! Nice, Most running hot problems are due to a bad fan clutch I notice.

Edited by ahardb0dy
  • Like 1

ahardb0dy, yep there is no drain on the overflow bottom and you are correct about the "used-car-lot-look". LOL :lol: At a car wash, I have carefully de-greased and power washed the engine compartment twice now and that crap is an Armor-all type detail spray.

Have you ever heard of people putting a bolt or something through the fan-clutch to make it a permanently "On" fan? I can see how a failed fan-clutch can really screw up a trip or strand you out in the middle of nowhere.

Take care, Aaron Here's a "before" photo of the engine:

2-20-16%20032_zpsxvnbbkxw.jpg

Generally they are very reliable. I've seen shoelaces and bailing wire used in a pinch to limp home.

I wouldn't recommend doing that for a long period, as the clutch is designed to slip at a certain rpm to reduce stress on the fan.

• Like 1

Usually when the fan clutch is bad and doesn't engage it will only effect the cooling when in traffic as when you are driving your getting plenty of air flow across the radiator.

No, never heard of using a bolt to rig the fan clutch to always turn.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input on the fan clutch everyone. I appreciate it. When adding an A/C system from a parts Subaru to my Subaru I added a fixed fan (which was factory installed I'm fairly certain) which is always on. This has been really nice as insurance if the intermittent electric fan where to fail on me. As a result my intermittent fan stays off however. Thanks again and take care all. Aaron

The fan should make a lot of noise on a cold start, but if it sounds like you have a hurricane in your engine bay while driving around then it's probably stuck on. I've had two fan clutches fail stuck, and it's a real drain on power and mpg's

I have heard of the bolt through the fan clutch but I'd only do that in a pinch, generally if you're able to keep moving you don't need a fan.

• Like 1