4.63 regear opinions

AkPrecision

For those of you that have 3.5L engines with the 4.3 and did the 3rd member and front diff swap from an older 3.3L with 4.6 gears was it worth it? I'm on 33s and plan to stay there. If a good 2 or 3" sfd came out I might do that and go 35s but for now she does what I need her to. Was the difference noticeable? I am actively considering this but would like some input.

Mike

It was noticeable to me. When I did mine and test drove it, I was being more mindful about the re-packed LSD that I swapped in at the same time, but it was a straight-line flogging that caught me off guard. It just felt a lot peppier.

It's a relatively small change at 6%, but when you think about it, the cost isn't unreasonable. You may have lost that amount just by running larger tires, so is 6% restoration worth it? If you think about it in terms of HP and torque, that's 14HP and 16 ft-lbs from a stock 3.5L.

Interesting. How long did the R&R take? Also at 65 mph do you know how much over your Speedo is? That little bit will help. I'm getting bumpers made and putting a spare on the back gate and rock sliders so I'll have a lot of weight

4-6 hours is reasonable for swapping both diffs.

My offset is different than yours, but with 33" tires (or ~32.8" for 285/75/16), your speedo offset will drop from 11.3% to 5.7%. When your speedo says 65mph, you'll be going about 69 instead of 72. To drive 65pmh, you'll needle on 61-62 instead of 58. The gears will definitely help the added weight.

So is it to say, the only gear changes we (R50 3.5L) guys/girls can do is, the 3.3 gear set? Can we just swap thirds and swap the front assly? Im looking at getting the lokka for the front and if I could do the gear change at the same time that would be great. Any imput really helps.

Thanks again fellow Pathy friends

So is it to say, the only gear changes we (R50 3.5L) guys/girls can do is, the 3.3 gear set? Can we just swap thirds and swap the front assly? Im looking at getting the lokka for the front and if I could do the gear change at the same time that would be great. Any imput really helps.

Thanks again fellow Pathy friends

R50 Front ONLY swaps with R50 Front.

The carriers are different and the gears inside the carriers are also cut different.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm switching my 4.6 out for some xterra 4.90. That should help with 33s.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

If you have 4x4 the xterra gears won't work in the front. Our front diffs are high pinion so they are reverse cut. The only gear option for an r50 is 4.3 or 4.6. If you are 2wd you can do many gears ratios such as the 4.9. I originally wanted 4.9 But I couldn't find anyone willing to make custom gears

For those of you that have 3.5L engines with the 4.3 and did the 3rd member and front diff swap from an older 3.3L with 4.6 gears was it worth it? I'm on 33s and plan to stay there. If a good 2 or 3" sfd came out I might do that and go 35s but for now she does what I need her to. Was the difference noticeable? I am actively considering this but would like some input.

Mike

I'm in the process (and almost finished) test fitting the new era of SFD kits to hit the market...working on the panhard bracket and the kit will be done...however I don't think you'll get 35's outta only 2-3 inches...that would be rough

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I'm in the process (and almost finished) test fitting the new era of SFD kits to hit the market...working on the panhard bracket and the kit will be done...however I don't think you'll get 35's outta only 2-3 inches...that would be rough

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I will end up trimming more metal off the fenders. I don't mind cutting them because if I don't like it new ones are pretty cheap. I'm more worried about turning with them on.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately those do not work since they are not reverse cut gears. R50 has a high pinion diff on the front. It is not the same as others with the same part number. I had an hour long talk with Steve at rugged rocks about this grrr said there is not enough demand to make the gears

• 3 weeks later...

Mind if I hijack your thread? No? Cool, thanks.

Background: Trying to keep the R50 capable but on a budget. Also feel that open diffs lacking weld beads are a serious waste of space. Too broke for a front locker, too lazy to weld it and be paranoid about forgetting if I drive onto a surface with too much traction (and still have the hubs locked).

Materials: Stock R50 Chilkoot Trail R200A front diff (in the vehicle). R200 VLSD out of a 1992 S13 SE. Both use 6-bolt stub shafts.

Question: Any Nissan differential gurus in the house? Will the VLSD centre section (the VLS of the D) bolt up to the ring gear AND receive the R200A stubs shafts?

Thanks for your time.

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by SYNCHROMASH

If I remember correctly it has been done.

Search VLSD into R200 and it should pop up. But a Lokka is pretty cheap. Probably cheaper in the long run.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If I remember correctly it has been done.

Search VLSD into R200 and it should pop up. But a Lokka is pretty cheap. Probably cheaper in the long run.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Isnt the vlsd only locks up on high speed?

Edited by deltaR50