Vibration after lift only 4wd

alexaudio10

Hello everyone,

First let me introduce myself, my name is Alex. This is my first message.

I need your help.

I install a lift kit 2 '' from 4x4part (Coil)

Since I have set, I have a vibration only in the 4HI. Everything was fine before.

My pathfinder 2004 in good condition, and I maintain it as if it were new.

-All My ujoint are nine

-My Driveshaft was balanced and rechecked.

-New Engine, new transmission (so almost everything has been checked)

And so on widely.

My mechanic told me that I have too much angle in my CV Axle.

I do not know what to do. I see a lot of pathfinder r50 with a lift kit 2 '' and they have no problem.

Have you any ideas?

P.S. For the moment I handed my original coils and the vibration is gone.

Big Thanks !!!!

Alex, great move putting the original coils back in.

When you mentioned a new transmission, I was going to ask if that transmission went in when the new coils did because it could be the source of the vibration. But since you swapped your original coils back in, and the vibration is gone, that eliminates that possibility.

Did you just change the springs or did you also change the front struts?

I would like to ask the rest of the forum...does his 2004 have the automatic hubs? Such that they are engaged when he's in 4wd, but disengaged when in 2wd?

That would explain why he has the vibration only in 4wd and not in 2wd.

For the record, no R50 was ever equipped from the factory with automatic hubs. All 4WD R50's (unless modified by the owner) have full-time drive flanges.

The vibration when the CV angle is greater is noticeable in 4WD, and not in 2WD, because in 4WD engine torque is being applied to the CV axles.

BTW, it may not be 100% accurate to say that other Pathfinders with the coil spring lift "have no problem". They may have a vibration, but they are willing to live with it, or they don't use 4Hi under the same conditions/speed as you.

FWIW, you should not use 4H on any terrain (such as wet pavement) that a regular FWD car is able to safely drive. 4H is only for low-traction surfaces such as mud, snow, dirt, etc. at speeds <=50mph. If you are driving >50mph, you either don't need need 4WD, or if you do, the last thing you'll be concerned about is driveline vibration, because all of your attention will be focused on keeping the vehicle under control.

Presuming for a moment he's just idling straight forward in 4wd just for the sake of testing things out, he should be fine. But yes, 4wd shouldn't be used for driving on pavement.

That said, and testing in that manner, I'm inclined to agree with the mechanic about the CV angles given some first impressions about the AC springs. If the CVs are in fact binding, that could produce a wobble at very slow speeds in 4wd. I'd still expect something in 2wd, but probably not as pronounced because the front driveshaft isn't engaged. It's probably not a problem as the springs settle, but I have no first-hand experience with them.

Alex, it'd be helpful to know the speeds at which you're experiencing vibrations, and whether or not it'd be relevant while offroading in 4wd conditions.

Welcome aboard!

Your mechanic is right. The vibration will lessen over time as the springs settle, but the CVS are operating at extreme angles. Get some manual hubs and call it a day, that's what I did. I've beat the living snot out of my rig in 4wd low and haven't snapped an axle yet, even with one wheel air born at full droop in reverse and suddenly catching traction(although admittedly, I thought I was going to blow something!)

You could try replacing the axles with some used factory units(are yours aftermarket?), but that may or may not help. Mine has settled considerably over the past year that i've had the lift on, but it is still noticeable if you are gunning it and get up to over 20mph.

Thank you for answering me. That makes a difference.

So for vibration, speed does not matter, but rather when I press the accelerator and I speed motor is 3000 RPM and more.

I NEVER used 4 wheel driving on dry asphalt, but only on the Snow, ect .....

I also never exceed 80 km / h!

As my garagistre talk me down my differential but I fear that the angle of the driveshaft is not good, in short!

Edited by alexaudio10

I had very bad vibration in the steering wheel after installing a lift and wheel spacers.....only to discover that my struts were very dead. after replacing them no more vibration. keep in mind that I am running 35mm lift springs along with 50mm of strut spacers. as well as 1 1/4 wheel spacers and no vibration.

It is possible that during installation of the new strut assembly, the inner CV joint was pulled apart and not reseated properly. It's more likely that the CV joints (inner joints) may be slightly worn, and the increased CV axle angle makes the wear more noticeable - as vibration during acceleration. When were the CV joints last replaced?

[Note that installing manual hubs will not help here, since the problem only reproduces while in 4WD (which requires that hubs are engaged) under acceleration.]

Unfortunately, to know for sure if the CV axles are worn, you'd have to replace them and see if the vibration goes away. If that doesn't solve the problem, though, you have just needlessly spent at least $200 replacing perfectly serviceable CV axles.

To be clear, U-joints (universal joints) and CV axles are different. U-joints are located at either end of the front and rear driveshafts. CV axles are located on the left and right sides of the front differential and attach to the front wheel hubs. If your U-joints are new, this does not have any influence on the condition of your CV axles, since they are completely different parts.

That being said, if both CV axles have been replaced, it is possible that whatever brand of CV axle was installed may not be compatible with a lift. When I replaced my CV axles a few years ago, I noticed that the inner joint on two different brands of CV axles was different, and one of the CV axles had a lower maximum operating angle than the other due to the design of the inner joint. I returned that axle and bought a different brand, and it works better.

Hello,

In fact, I express wrong. Sorry, I have trouble with English. I'll do my best.

My driveshaft U-joint were replaced. My driveshaft is balanced ( 2 times)

My CV Axles are original, I just replace the boots.

Do you trademarks of CV axle accepting more angle?

I begin to believe that these my CV axle have a problem, because the front driveshaft forward does not change the angle, even if I lift my pathfinder.

The problem is only in 4wd (4hi)

Hello,

I just give you some news. I installed today front MOOG coil spring with spacer 1 ''.

It's great, no vibration (well, a little but it's really not that much as before).

I have the same CV Axle.

I now believe that the maximum lift is 1.5 '' with the original carding.

Thank you all for your help.